AA26

After driving to and from work all week, Amil was happy to be riding shotgun in Zion's vehicle. Being around Zion as a whole was a big mental break for her. She didn't have to be on guard about anything. Instead, she was given the free range to simply exist and allow her man to be her mind. Currently, the duo was on the way a holiday correlated festivity that Zion heard about from one of his soldiers.

Though it wasn't the safest position to be in while in a moving vehicle, Amil's legs were pressed together while her knees were up to her chest as she scrolled through the explore page on Instagram. "You know what I just noticed?" Amil questioned, snatching Zion out of his daze. Without removing his attention from the road, he lifted one of his eyebrows, indicating that he was ready to hear the observation. "You haven't put up a Christmas tree—do you even have one?" She spoke.

"Yeah, I don't have one—I felt like it wasn't needed since I was living by myself. Knowing me, it would stay up till March." He replied, Amil lightly chuckled. "You want one?" He looked over at her.

"It's too late now—usually, shit like that go up Thanksgiving night, or the day after. If we put one up, it would only be up for like two weeks." She answered. They didn't have a tree, but they still had a few small decorations that Amil put up around the house, mainly in the kitchen and living room.

"You sure...we don't have to take it down immediately after Christmas—we can do New Year's Eve." Zion suggested. Amil shook her head no while lightly chuckling, "It's fine, babe." She replied.

"Next year." Zion spoke, removing his right hand from the steering wheel and extending his pinky over to Amil. She looked at him with a smile as she interlocked their pinkies. "Next year." She echoed. Zion subsequently kissed their connected pinkies before they unlocked their limbs and pulled away.

Without warning, the music stopped as a call came through. In an in sync manner, the couple both looked over to the screen to see who was calling. It was safe to say that the couple had different reactions to Felicia calling. While Zion was all smiles, a scoff mean enough to scare a villain covered Amil's face. "Wassup Ma." Zion greeted his mother once the call connected.

"Hey, baby. I need you to come over and fix the lights that we got on top of the house." Felicia announced, causing Amil to make up her face. "Lights?" Zion questioned.

"The Christmas lights, they fell." Felicia poorly explained. "Oh, and I need a little something towards Christmas shopping—I'm almost done, it's just a couple more things I gotta get." She added. By this point, Amil could no longer hide her vexation.

"Ight, I'll come by and bring some cash when I do." Zion replied, showing zero signs of irritation. It was clear that Zion expected his mother to need something every time she called and he braced himself for it. "What you doing—you can't come by now?" Felicia wondered.

"Me and Amil on the way to do something." He announced, causing Felicia to kiss her teeth as she let out a shady chuckle. "Mm...I guess, just let me know when you can come by, baby." She replied.

"Ight, I'll try to make it within the next couple of days." Zion spoke. They shared a bit more of small conversation before the call concluded and the music commenced. It wasn't long before it stopped. Only this time, Zion manually turned it down himself. "You mind if we stop over there right now?" He questioned, curtly looking over at his girlfriend.

"I actually do mind." Amil bluntly replied. She was hesitant on waking this up, but she figured now was the perfect time. "First of all...yo' mama don't like me and she made it clear with that little chuckle she did when you brought up the fact that you were with me." Amil started.

"What you mean she don't like you?" Zion furrowed his eyebrows together. "She doesn't, Zion. She makes comments to me and I make them right back." Amil replied. The end of that phone call didn't sound like a mother and son conversation, but a boyfriend and a broke side chick conversation—and Amil didn't like it.