AA19

Amil's lip was tightly sandwiched between her teeth as she typed on her MacBook. What careers can you have with a journalism degree? A question that she typed into the google search bar every time her anxiety seemed to get the best of her. After completing homework, she began to wonder if she was doing it for the hell of it. Amil was discouraged, as she was starting to believe that her soon coming degree wouldn't land her anything to show for it. Every time she typed the question into google, the same answers came up. Amil read them every time, hoping something would stick and she'd get an idea of what she wanted to do once she graduated.

Today's homework completion setting was different. Instead of being on campus or at Zion's house, she was at a local coffee shop that she found on Instagram. Amil indulged in an iced mocha latte while munching on a blueberry muffin. While the door was constantly revolving with people coming in and out to obtain their caffeinated needs, there were a group of people who filled the lobby, Amil assumed were doing the same thing as her. Every time her eyes just so happened to wander around the establishment, everyone was busy with either typing or writing.

Though she was accompanied by Zion, he was no  longer sitting in front of her, doing his work as well. Instead, he was outside of the establishment taking a call. Amil looked over, out of the window that was beside her and noticed Zion pacing back and forth with his phone pressed up to his ear, doing what was evidently yelling. Between the music and not being the best at lip reading, Amil wasn't able to make out what he was yelling about. After looking for so long, she turned away and put her attention back on her screen.

Editor, writer, public relations manager, and producer are a few jobs you can get with a journalism degree. Amil sighed, reading a few of the answers that she read before, when inquiring what jobs you can get as a journalism major. While there wasn't anything wrong with these job titles, she knew if she landed one of them, it would be for someone else's company, and she didn't want that. In a perfect world, Amil's blog would take off, giving her the opportunity to employ herself, by taking on a few of these titles for TheBlackGirlBlog.

Amil grabbed her iced coffee by the plastic cup that it was in and took a sip, before sitting it back down on the branded coaster in front of her. The door opened, sending a ding sound into the air, letting the staff know that someone walked in. Amil looked in that direction to see a very visibly irritated Zion walking back into the building. "You okay?" Amil questioned as he became a few foot steps away from her.

"I'm sorry, Bae—but we gotta go, I needa go handle something at my mama house." Zion announced while shutting his laptop and placing it in Amil's bag. "Is everything okay?" Amil's eyebrows furrowed in concern. There was something so dismal about his mood, she began to feel it too.

"Yeah..." Zion replied, somewhat zoning out as he gathered their trash. "One of my lil brothers giving my mama problems." He communicated. Amil slowly grew somber as she watched him. She knew the feeling all too well, it was him being the Batman for his family once again. Though it was obviously draining, everyone in the position knew it was hard to put your foot down and choose to no longer be the saving grace.

Amil sat the strap to her Long Champ bag on top of her shoulder and followed Zion out of the coffee shop. In spite of him being stressed and a bit upset, he still guided her over to the passenger side and helped her into the car. After Amil was situated, Zion traveled over to the other side and hopped in. "Do you need a kiss?" Amil questioned while watching him fastened his seatbelt, hoping to ease his mood.

Finally, Zion cracked a smile as he chuckled. "I do." He replied, leaning in to share a peck with Amil. "Thank you, babe." He added while cupping her face with his hand, which seemed to fit so perfectly. He then kissed her once more before starting the car up. Amil could tell he still wasn't in the best spirits, considering that he didn't turn any music on to occupy the silence that accompanied them on the ride.