AA4

Amil's angst wasn't letting up even while she slept. All night long, she tossed and turned with her current circumstances on her mind. She gave up on sleep at about 6am, and decided to go for a run—something she loved to do. Track was an outlet for her. When she was on the track out running everybody, she imagined herself surpassing all of her conundrums. This method helped her not only obtain a state title, but also a full ride scholarship.

Amil controlled her breaths as she motioned her arms while in a full on sprint. Her ponytail that was pulled through the back of her Astros hat undulated with every bounce against the concrete. She paused for a moment, so she could focus her attention on the sun that was slowly rising. A picturesque sight it was. Usually, at this time she'd either be preparing for work or class, so she wasn't able to experience the sunrise in all of its glory.

She figured maybe there was some good in her being unemployed now. If she wasn't too tired on the days she didn't have classes, she wanted to make it a priority to watch the sunrise. After a while, she slowed down on running and transitioned into a light stroll while she caught her breath. The woman who strolled past her while talking loudly on the phone made her realize that she left her phone in her dorm.

A light chuckle fell from Amil's lips as her mind traveled to Zion, and how funny it would be if they bumped into each other during her stroll. She hadn't seen him since the kickback and she was lowkey anticipating it. It'd been a week since the kickback and their flirty banter was something she thought about often. A dulcet smile adorned her face each time the interaction popped up in her mind. The way they both smoothly went back and forth, the romantic tone, all of it never ceased to send Amil on quixotic high.

After so much running and strolling, Amil decided to end her morning run. "Fuck." She cursed as she stopped and rested her hands on the crown of her head. Annoyance filled her body once she realized she'd have to run all the way back, and she didn't bring her phone so she couldn't call an Uber. Amil figured standing there and being mad about it was only prolonging her getting back home. With a sigh of frustration, she turned on her heels and began her journey back home.

-

Just as planned, when Tuesday came, Amil headed to her grandparent's house so she could pick her little sister up for her doctor's appointment. Bri was set to get a 3D/4D ultrasound, which made them both very excited. "I'm the youngest in here." Brianna whispered, pulling Amil's attention off of the episode of The Bold and Beautiful that was playing on the TV. She looked around to see exactly what her sister saw, she was definitely the youngest. And one of the only ones not accompanied by their partner.

"I kinda hate coming to the doctor...once they see my age, they treat me funny." She added. This reminded Amil a lot of the conversation she witnessed between her grandma and great aunt.

"Who's they? The doctors or the other patients?" Amil questioned. Bri sighed as she looked up at the TV before looking at her sister, "Everybody, to be honest." She answered.

"Well, fuck everybody." Amil bluntly spoke. "Everybody got opinions and everybody got assholes—none of that shit matters, Bri. You ain't the first 16 year old to get pregnant and you won't be the last." She added. Having a sister that was 16 and pregnant definitely changed Amil's sentiments toward the predicament. Her sister was in a relationship with one guy, the only relationship she'd been in and she just so happened to get pregnant. Did she want her sister to take on such a big responsibility while she was so young? No, but it was done. People were gonna talk whether she had the baby or got an abortion.

"India told me auntie Chevonne ain't want her to come to my shower because she ain't want her getting no ideas." Bri announced, it was evident that her feelings were hurt. Being that the girls were the same age, they grew up doing everything together. Bri was noticing people slowly cut ties with her for being pregnant, and it hurt Amil's heart.