AA14

Lugging her MacBook all the way through the mall and into the Apple Store, made Amil eager to hear nothing but good news. She was praying for it, considering that if she didn't get good news, she'd be shit out of luck. Amil couldn't remember if she had Apple care or not, which was her only option, because she definitely couldn't afford to get a brand new laptop, regardless of the model.

While awaiting assistance from one of the employees, Amil decided to take a look at the newest released iPads. She couldn't decipher what was new besides the model, but they were still nice to look at. Before stepping away, she decided to go to safari on the iPad and search her blog, figuring there was nothing wrong with a bit of shameless promo.

"Have you been helped yet?" An unfamiliar male voice called out, compelling Amil to look up. Standing in front of her was one of the store's employees. "No, not yet." Amil answered.

"How can I help you today?" He questioned. "My MacBook went blank a couple days ago and hasn't came back on since—I feel like I've tried everything, but nothing works." Amil explained. The employee came closer and attempted to see if he could get it to turn on.

"Any spills prior to it turning off?" He questioned, Amil shook her head no. "I take pretty good care of it." She replied, watching him fiddle with the equipment.

"You mind if I take it to the back right quick to get a second opinion?" He questioned, once again, Amil shook her head no. She was hoping he took it to the back and came back with it miraculously working again. "That's fine." She confirmed.

"And just to be sure, do you have Apple care?" He wondered, Amil shook her head no. "No." She answered, once she remembered that she opted out of Apple care, feeling like she'd be gentle with it.

"I'll be right back." He announced before turning away and heading to the back. While she wanted to check out the new Apple Watches, she decided to remain in the same spot, so the associate didn't have a problem finding her when he came back. Instead, she moved a couple steps away to another iPad and entered her blog on the safari app on that device as well. Moments later, Amil pulled her phone out of her back pocket and began to use her idle time to mindlessly scroll through Instagram.

Amil tapped through the stories, sliding left when needed. While doing so, she came across Zaria's story. Amil paused for a second, as she was surprised that they still followed each other. Without another second passing, Amil tapped on her username and unfollowed her before topping things off by blocking her. Amil hadn't seen her since their fight, and wanted to keep it that way, even on social media.

Amil slightly looked up from her phone, to see the associate walking towards her with her MacBook tightly held in his hand. Amil pursed her lips together, rubbing in her lip oil, as she watched him stride closer and closer to her. "Alright, I took it to the tech crew and it was nothing they could do—they said it might be a motherboard problem and they recommended either replacing the motherboard, or getting a new device, because they're not sure how severe the damage is." He explained.

"And you said you don't have Apple care, right?" He questioned. Amil's reply was delayed, as her heart began to break into a million pieces. She came to the store hoping for good news and a quick fix, but instead received the opposite. "I don't—how much is the replacement motherboard?" She replied.

"For this model—without Apple care, you're looking at about $2400." He answered, causing Amil's knees to buckle. That was way more than she had to her name at the moment. "That's way more than a brand new laptop." Amil announced while adjusting her purse on her shoulder.

The employee shook his head in agreement, "That's why the team suggested a brand new device." He spoke. Unfortunately, Amil didn't have the money for that either. "We're also running a special that'll give you free AirPods, with the purchase of a Mac." He added. Amil quickly traded her somber expression for a smile as she nodded her head.