AA7

The little voice in the back of Amil's mind was no longer winning. Matter fact, she wasn't sure when the last time she heard it was. As of late, she had a new voice in her head telling her that she deserved whatever little knick knack she found that day and there was no use in depriving herself from joy. Deep down in her heart, she knew she'd find a job eventually, even if it wasn't the usual office job she was used to.

Amil's new avowal lead her to the archive store with Omari. But first, The duo sat in his car feasting on Boudin and sour cream and cheddar ruffles that they picked up from the corner store. Amil bit off a piece of the boudin link before dropping a few potato chips into her mouth, wanting both savory flavors to collide into a collaborative taste.

"You ain't gon' tell me 'bout yo' date, nigga?" Omari questioned while twisting the top off of his fruit punch Arizona. Amil laughed, as she knew the topic was bound to come up. The duo spoke about it briefly through peeping eye and laughing emojis after she posted her new box of chocolates in her close friends on Instagram. "Oh—yeah." Amil replied, taking a swig of her sweet tea.

"Saturday we went to a sip and paint at your job and then on Sunday we went to watch the Slabs—it was fun." Amil elucidated. Mar slowly swayed his head up and down while listening. "You like him?" He questioned. His head stopped swaying and turned in the direction of Amil.

"Yeah—why you ain't tell me you had good friends, instead of watching me be with losers like Landon." Amil fussed as she reached over and endearingly shoved her friend's shoulder. "I don't really like playing Cupid—especially when it come to you, you know I don't play 'bout you. Niggas gon' be niggas and I don't wanna be into it with a nigga I call my friend cause he moved funny with you." Mar spoke. Amil dramatically poked out her bottom lip as she reached over to cup her hand under his chin and squeeze his face.

Omari kissed his teeth before swatting Amil's hand away. "But do you think I have anything to worry about when it comes to Zion?" She questioned. Nobody knew men's true colors like their friends and because Mar was their mutual friend, Amil felt like he could put her on game, rather than her being surprised about any behaviors. "Zi a good dude—you straight." Mar replied. Amil let out a breath that she didn't know she was holding in and nodded her head. She trusted Omari's judgment, he never withheld the truth from her.

"Good—I know we ain't there yet, but I been thinkin' about holding out on him since we kissed so early." Amil announced. Mar furrowed his eyebrows together while slightly making up his face. "Holding out on what, sex?" He questioned. Amil confirmed the answer to his question by shaking her head yes.

Omari waved his friend off before starting to laugh. "What's funny?" Amil quizzed.

"Women—I promise holding out don't change how a nigga view you, trust me. Some niggas so fucked up, they'll play along just to get in yo' pants and then drop you for wasting their time." Omari explained. Though it was outlandish, she knew it was very on brand for men. "That makes no sense. How is the time wasted if—never mind, it makes perfect sense. Men are vindictive." She replied while rummaging through her purse, seconds later she pulled out two pieces of Extra peppermint gum. One piece for her, and one piece for Omari.

Amil unwrapped her piece and stuck the thin strip into her mouth, before extending a piece to Omari. Seconds later, she realized he hadn't grabbed it, which compelled her to look over at him. A laugh dropped from her mouth at the face that he was making. "Yes?" Amil questioned.

"You trynna say my breath stink?" Omari questioned back, making Amil erupt into laughter. "Shut the fuck up—we literally just ate Boudin and chips, I'm just trynna look out." She replied. Omari grabbed the piece of gum and unwrapped it, prior to balling up the shiny wrapping and sitting it in his empty Snapple bottle.