AA13

Amil and Zion getting closer by the day meant Zion was slowly pulling away from both of his friend groups, as he enjoyed spending time with Amil. With a push from Amil, the duo ended up at yet another Friday night kick back at the apartment of one of his friends. While the festivities continued, Amil slipped in the kitchen and grabbed two solo cups, placing them directly next to each other before grabbing the bottle of fruit punch that was on the island behind her.

Amil poured equal amounts before twisting the lid back on and reaching for the random tequila, and adding just a bit to their juice. She grabbed both cups, occupying both of her hands and slowly made her way back to the living room. The boy's loud conversation could be heard all the way from the hallway, making Amil stop in her tracks, considering that she wanted to hear more without the conversation filtering, because of her presence.

"One of y'all shoulda brought some dice—I feel like dry taking a nigga money." Zion announced, gaining laughs and trash talk from his friends. "We ain't think you was coming...I can't believe a bitch had to convince you to come." One of the boys voiced.

"Aye, come on, don't do that." Zion replied, causing for a bit more banter like trash talk. "Don't do what?" The boy questioned. Considering Amil was still new to the group, she wasn't quite familiar with everyone's voices and couldn't put a name to them yet. Despite not being able to do so, she was still all ears while controlling her breathing.

"Call her a bitch—she bad, but she ain't no bitch." Zion corrected him. A proud smirk stretched across Amil's face as she nodded her head in awe. She bad, but she ain't a bitch...I like that; Amil thought to herself. She wasn't sure why she wasn't expecting him not to defend her. She figured men these days believed that my bitch was synonymous with terms of endearment. Zion correcting his friend showed her where his head was and the way he differed from men these days.

Amil decided that, that was all she needed to hear. Finally, she joined the group again and handed Zion his red solo cup before sitting on his lap. Zion took a brief sip of the concoction and sat his cup on the glass table in front of them. His hands rested on Amil's legging covered thighs, moving in an oscillating wave that was comforting to them both.

"And you said you a nurse right, Amil?" One of the boys questioned, catching Amil's attention. The question was so far off, that it slightly took her aback. Amil shook her head no, "I'm a student—majoring in journalism." She explained.

He snapped his fingers while nodding his head and pointing at her, "You definitely told us that—my fault." He replied while dipping his chip into the fresh salsa, he sat the chip into his mouth and sat back on the leather sofa. "I don't know where I got nurse from." He added. Though it seemed like an honest mistake, Amil was wondering where he got it from as well.

"Bro—y'all niggas not coming back here, look at all the crumbs on my table." Brat fussed while wiping down her glass table with a windex wipe. Von kissed his teeth as he looked up at her, "Nigga—just relax. You know we gon' help you clean before we leave." He fussed back, in an attempt to make her relax. A silent deft chuckle fell from Amil's lips as she watched the interaction between them. She wasn't sure if they saw it, but from her eyes, there was a lot of romantic chemistry there.

"But, yeah man. Long as I got me some money, I'm straight." Darryl spoke as he locked his phone and slid it back into his pocket. His sentiment was a reply to the current conversation, surrounding the grief that he was enduring as the result of a failed long time talking stage.

"Love and money aren't interchangeable—they may fill the void for the time being, but no matter how much you have over the other, you'll still yearn for the one you don't have at the moment...it's human nature." Amil chimed in. This was a topic she touched on the blog before, in reason that it reminded her a lot of her father. Overcompensating with work to fill emotional voids—it never worked, only temporarily suppressed the emotions.