AA30

Today's weather was rainy. Usually, Amil had a love hate relationship with the rain, but today she loved it. With her hair being protected by her braids, she didn't have to worry about oh so carefully dodging every rain drop. Instead, she was able to enjoy the setting as she traveled from her car and to the cafe she was meeting her father at. With every step, her second hand Gucci rain boots splashed through the small puddles that adorned the concrete.

At last, she made it to the door. Before going in, she let down her umbrella and wrapped the string around the body, prior to leaving the soaking wet device outside the door. A strong redolence of cinnamon traveled through her nose and greeted her while the young lady behind the register did the same. Amil greeted her with a wave and friendly smile before scanning the restaurant for her father. Shortly, she spotted Lloyd's salt and pepper hair.

As of late, Amil was seeing her father's face more and more. So much, that she forgot that he didn't live in Houston. Amil wasn't sure what the reason was, but she definitely loved seeing her father more often. A smile covered his face as he looked up from his phone and caught eyes with his daughter, he then placed his phone on the table, so he could stand up and greet her with a hug and kiss on the forehead. "You look pretty." He announced, urging her to smile.

"Thank you." She replied while sitting down in the chair adjacent to his. "You drinkin' some tea?" She observed with a light chuckle while scanning the small circular table.

"Yeah, I was waiting till' you got here to get something to eat." He replied. Amil removed her raincoat and sat it on the back of her seat. "Where's Marie?" Amil asked.

"In Dallas. She couldn't bear the ride down and back, she's on her cycle and you know I told you she had endometriosis...it makes this time of the month hard for her." Lloyd announced.

Amil watched as her father's attention was heavily fixed on his phone. Judging by his swift thumb movements against the screen, Amil assumed was drafting a few emails. For a second, she paused and watched him. In the spur of the moment, she reached over and grabbed the phone from his hold, acquiring a confused look from him. She then placed it in her purse, knowing her father wouldn't reach for it, considering Lloyd was big on not touching women's handbags, as it was a respect thing for him, taught to him by his mother.

"I'm taking this cause we need to talk and you don't need to be occupied while we're talking—you can live without it for a few minutes" Amil announced. A smile formed on Lloyd's face as he chuckled and tossed his hands up in surrender. "Alright...can I eat, at least?" He replied, Amil shook her head yes.

"Get me something, too." She called out, watching as her father waltzed over to the short line. Momentarily, she sat her bag on her lap and pulled out her laptop. These days, her iPad was the star of the show as she used it more than her laptop. Today, she decided to haul it along with her, hoping that the setting urged her to use it. After typing in her passcode, she was granted entry. Immediately after, Amil began to glance at her blog. It wasn't long before she was interrupted by the sound of her phone ringing.

Amil's heart skipped a few beats as she read Zion's name at the top of her phone. Despite them being in the aftermath of a disagreement, this was an effect that he still had on her, long into their relationship. Shortly, she snapped out of her daze and connected her thumb with the lime green button. "Hey." Amil hailed.

"Hey, baby—we ain't talk at all really this morning, so I wanted to call and see how you doing." Zion announced, constructing a small smile to slowly appear on her face. "We didn't talk this morning because I was sleep when you left for work." Amil replied.

"Yeah...I kissed yo' forehead before I left, I don't know if you felt it, cause you be sleeping extra hard like you work at a plant or something." Zion spoke, making Amil chuckle. "I felt it." She assured.