☆ Intermission - Journaling ☆

TW: mild body horror
————

It was a quiet evening, still and soundless. The hour was late, and you would assume all to be sleeping. Except, you would be wrong in that assumption. Soft, golden light seeped from a second floor window in a cozy lodge. One single noise broke the silence of the night: a pencil, scritch-scritching into paper.

Hi Pearl.

You're watching right now, right? Your moth's eyes always get that weird purpley color when you are.

I would talk right now, but Xisuma's asleep right now, and I don't want to accidentally wake him up. Writing will have to do. So much has happened, and I know I really need to fill you in on everything that I haven't told you.

I guess I should start with I'm sorry.

I know I left without warning, and I suppose that wasn't fair. You know those assignments I get? Just like you do, but for demons? I'm on one of those right now. And they broke off my communication spell for it. I tried to contact Skizz, and then you, I really tried. But, of course, it didn't work.

My assignment will be over soon though, luckily. It was that I have to collect three souls, and I've got three months to do it. I'm just about at the two month mark now I think, a little past it actually. I'll find a work around by the end of the month, easy.

Okay, now listen, (or look I guess?) I need you to pass on a message to Skizz for me.

Tell him I'm sorry, please. He probably thinks I ghosted him or something, but I didn't, I swear. It's been what– [There's a few addition equations scribbled into the margins of the paper] –3 months since I've last seen him. I think. Because there was a month between my last assignment where I saw him and the one I have now. I couldn't talk to him and I couldn't see him and void- it's been so long.

I miss him. So much, Pearl.

I need you to tell him how amazing he is for me. Skizz, he means the world to me, and if something happens at the end of this month, I need him to know that. If I can't tell him myself, he's got to know that he's the best friend I've ever had, that he's incredible and funny and charismatic and kind.

I'm not– I'm gonna be fine. But just in case I'm not, tell him he changed my life, and I'm sorry all this happened.

No no no, trust me, things are gonna be just fine though. I'll find my work around, I always do. And after I do, I'll see you guys again, you and Skizz and Grian. Maybe you guys could come up down to the overworld.

This village I'm in, you'd love it so much. All the people here are so impossibly accepting, I mean, they don't care that I'm a demon! I was so worried about being stuck in the overworld, but somehow I found this place, and it's just straight up incredible.

I'm gonna be fine, and we all can be together again and have a good time here.

I love you guys.

A pencil was set down next to an open notebook, the user, a small brown haired demon, satisfied with what had been written. He smiled at a little moth that was toddling about on his desk, and went to close the notebook. However, before he did, a fly drifted down and landed on the page.

An idea sprung up in the demon's mind that made him let out a small gasp.

The fly skittered off the paper, and he picked up his pencil again, making sure the moth was watching with its purple eyes. 

Pearl, I've figured it out, I've got my work around!

Insects have souls, I'm pretty sure.