☆ Chapter 29 ☆

Scar would never in a hundred years understand how someone had never built anything in their life, or only tried to at the very least. How could you not in a world where the magic of a crafting table could easily turn a freshly chopped tree into simple, easy to use building blocks? Where most people learned from childhood how to use them to their advantage? He didn't get it.

That being said, he didn't understand Impulse.

Well, it wasn't like the demon had never touched a block before, but he seemed clearly out of his element in the subject.

"It's eeeeasy, don't worry about it," Scar reassured Impulse on the matter. The two were walking through town, on their way to check out a plot of land that Impulse had picked out under the encouragement and persistence of the others. Scar was going to help him decide what to build there, and get started on it, maybe by picking out materials or laying out a foundation.

"Yeah... okay. I'm just worried- it's been a while," Impulse hummed, uncertain of himself. "I can't remember when the last time I properly built something was," he laughed to himself, like the statement wasn't concerning to Scar at all.

"Well, you're gonna build something now, mister!" Scar declared. He shifted the shulker he'd brought along under his arm. It had a collection of different blocks for them to peruse through. "Just out of curiosity, the last time you built something, were you in the Nether?" Scar wondered aloud, since he knew that's where Impulse was from.

"Uh... Yeah, I think so." The demon answered after a pause.

"In that case, you'll have a bunch of new overworld blocks to experiment with! The nether doesn't have as much, especially in terms of wood." Scar followed up excitedly. He was super happy to help Impulse find a style he liked for building. "Oh, yeah, that'll be fun I guess!" Impulse smiled back.

"Ugh, I can't imagine living in the Nether. Barely any variation for building! It would be terrible!" Scar complained. He was thankful he had never been forced into that by fate. On a whim, he decided to ask, "What is the Nether really like anyway?"

The netherborn next to him didn't answer right away, thinking of an answer with a laugh building in the back of his throat. "Void, it's terrible down there," he began, his tone still upbeat. "Every horrible thing you've heard about it? Imagine that, but even more horrible. And the third ring? The demon realm? Even worse."

"Oh, wow, I'm sorry..." Scar trailed off, eyes widening at Impulse's response. He knew the Nether was bad, but he guessed it was worse than he'd thought.

"No, don't be," Impulse reassured. "There's a reason myself- and Tango- left there anyways. It's not as bad as I make it out to be. I might be a little biased." He exaggerated his words more than normal, shrugging on the last sentence.

"Ah, okay. Seriously though, I haven't heard much about the third ring. What is it like? Other than terrible, of course." For some reason, Scar had to admit that his curiosity was piqued at the moment. Tango, the other resident netherborn, couldn't tell him about the third ring, since he was from the second and hadn't been there. But Impulse could.

"Well," Impulse held out a hand to tally things off on his fingers. "It's really hard to get to, as I'm sure you already know. You can only use transportation spells or demon-made portals. Our families down there are called clans, and are actually the farthest thing from familial. Then you've got the hot mess that's the government- aka, the Big Three! Tyrannical rulers with absolute power, blah blah blah. And there aren't any revolutionists brave enough to stand against them, and the ones that are are anarchists. There's a lot- and man, I didn't even mention the grocery stores, they're shitty!"