23

My body melted into his in the warm bath. One arm rested on my back. With his dry hand, he lit a cigarette. He blew the smoke out of the window by the bath.

"Are you okay, princess?" He asked softly.

"Yeah," my raspy voice strained, "I feel better."

"Good," he chuckled. His hand rubbed my back in slow circles. "I'll have to make sure you didn't get hurt after the bath. Can't have my princess walking around with cuts or bruises."

"Did it help?" I asked, looking up at him.

"It did." He looked down at me with a gentle smile. His eyes were filled with deep affection. "Thank you." My eyes closed and my ear pressed to his chest, listening to the beat of his heart. "None of what happened today was your fault, baby girl. Those bastards have been looking for a reason to drag my name further through the mud for a while."

"I just felt guilty." I opened my eyes to see him looking out of the window. "I still kind of do."

He sighed, flicking the ashes from his cigarette out of the window. "That's what they want." He shook his head. "They want us to fail."

"That's not gonna happen," I muttered.

He smiled softly, his hand moving from my back to caress my head. "That's my girl." He praised me. "Just remember, this is going to happen. You can't let it take you down." He looked at me gently. "Hearing you say those things and seeing you cry like that..." He took a drag from his cigarette as his expression darkened, "I felt like the world's biggest fuck up. I never want to see you cry like that over me again. It's bullshit that you don't deserve."

My hand rested limply against his chest. "You didn't do anything wrong." When I saw his eyes close in frustration I looked at his hand. The cigarette rested between his middle and index finger lazily. The bandages seemed sloppily wrapped around his knuckles. "Is your hand ok?"

He snapped from his thoughts, looking over his wrapped knuckles. "Yeah, split my knuckles a little. It's nothing to worry about." He assured me.

"Could I rewrap them?" I whispered.

"Yes, princess," responded tenderly, "after I make sure you're okay."

He pulled the plug from the bath as he put out his cigarette. As he stood he carefully sat me up. He dried off and wrapped his towel around his waist. I watched as he laid out my towel on the counter. His arms lifted me from the mostly drained tub and sat me on my towel. I winced as he sat me down. Once more he lifted me into his arms. Carrying me bridal style, he placed me on our bed face down.

After disappearing to the bathroom, Kayn returned with a bottle of lotion. Sitting beside me he rubbed it on my rear, soothing the residual sting. He sat me up and examined my wrists. They were clear of bruises. My neck had been stinging since he'd bitten it. He grabbed our bedside first-aid kit and cleaned the spot carefully. After he placed a bandaid over the spot he walked out of the room.

When he returned he was carrying a mug. "Here," he smirked, "a vocalist's best friend."

I sipped the contents of the mug to taste eucalyptus tea. "Mmmm." I hummed softly.

"You're so beautiful." He whispered, brushing a stray hair from my face with a smile. "After all of that, you look like you've just been to the spa. Relaxed and at peace." He ran his fingers through my hair slowly. "The best girl I could ever have found."

"Technically, I found you." I giggled, my throat feeling slightly better.

"I bumped into you." He contested.

I smiled, shaking my head. "I went to the bar looking for you." I retorted playfully.

"Did you?" He asked.

I nodded. "I'd almost left because I didn't see you," I answered.

"That would've sucked." He chuckled.

I sat my tea on the nightstand and took the first aid kit. "Yeah, I'd still be a stripper, in love with a man who didn't know I existed, in a tiny apartment." I let out a breathy giggle as I unwrapped his knuckles.

"I would've still been hiding away in my room wondering why the fame wasn't enough." He whispered, looking at his split knuckles. "I still would've paid to see you in that private room at the club." He smiled.

I rolled my eyes, cleaning his knuckles. "Sure," I replied doubtfully.

"I would've." He responded in a sincere tone. "Before you, it took more than a couple of sentences for me to sleep with someone. When I didn't leave you my number after that night it was because I'd caught myself watching you sleep. Part of me felt that little pull to you. After I saw you at the club, I kinda said fuck it." He explained as he watched me wrap the gauze around his hand. "Booty calls stayed booty calls for at least a month."

I giggled as I listened to him. "Oh my!" I feigned being flattered.

He rolled his eyes as I finished bandaging him. "Now, I'm so fucking happy I broke my own rules." He pulled me into a kiss. "You're the thing I'd give everything for."

My lips connected with his again as I laid there in his arms. "I'd give my life for..." I started before I was cut off by his lips.

"Nothing," he said as he looked me in the eye, "I wouldn't ever let you. You are my precious gem. I'd rather know that the boys are caring for you than have me sitting with them without you."

"I couldn't live without you," I whispered, my breath caressing his lips.

"You'll never have to." He assured me. "I'm never leaving. I'm never letting go. You are the person that I know will always be in my corner. I'd be a fucking idiot to let that slip away."