37

It took Kayn a couple of hours to fully wake up. The rest of the boys stopped by after dinner. Kayn was still a bit out of it, but now that he was awake the band didn't feel too worried about keeping me company.

Alone in the room, Kayn and I sat in silence. I carefully brushed his hair while he played with mine. I sat the brush on his bedside table and took a deep breath.

"You look like shit." Kayn sighed as if he felt guilty, a halfhearted smile on his lips.

"Says the one in the bright yellow gown." I chuckled wearily.

His thumb brushed under my eye. "Can't tell if you haven't slept or if the raccoon in you is starting to show." He joked.

"I've only gotten about three hours of sleep since..." My words trailed off as I remembered the first night.

"Lay down." He whispered, tugging me toward him.

I shook my head slowly. "I don't want to hurt you. I can sleep in the chair." I said, trying to get up.

"You're not going to hurt me." He assured me as his grip on me tightened. "Everything, including the wound is on my right. My left side is all yours."

Sighing, I gave in and laid beside him. "I was so scared," I whispered as he got his arm comfortable around me.

"I know, princess." He whispered as he turned his head to kiss my forehead. "There were times when I could hear you and feel you. It was like you were in my dreams, even though I couldn't see you."

I took in his scent like I'd never known it before. "I love you so much." My words came out in a mutter.

"I love you too, Mika." He whispered against my forehead. "Get some sleep."

~~~~

After a couple of days, Kayn was moved to a normal room. We stayed there for a few days. When we got the news that Kayn was being discharged we were ecstatic.

Sett helped carry our bags as I helped Kayn in the house. Jim screamed at us as we walked in. "I'm going to have to ask you to hold your nuts, man." Kayn chuckled as he walked to the couch.

"He doesn't have any to hold onto." I laughed as I helped him sit.

"A cruel fate for such a gentleman." Sett frowned as he picked up Jim.

I went to the kitchen to get Kayn some water. Whispers came from the living room as I checked Jim's bowl. Sett looked at me suspiciously and pointed at me to stay put before going to the garage. Holding the water bottle I'd grabbed, I stood, looking around in confusion. As Sett came back in he waved for me to follow. It took me a second to move but I followed. Sett handed Kayn something and I stood off to the side with furrowed brows.

"Can't kneel right now, so I hope sitting is close enough." Kayn chuckled as he reached for my hand. "I'd rather have done this on the roof of the office building, but I kinda fucked that up. So, Mika," I heard the click of a box come from his other hand, and realization set in.

"No..." I covered my mouth as my heart stopped.

"Can I at least finish before you answer." He joked. "I'm sure I'm supposed to say something about how you've made my life a better place or how you're the one I want, but you already know all of that. So, I thought I'd tell you that I've never experienced such gentle love and care. I don't want to lose that. Every day I feel so fucking lucky to have someone who just sees me as me. Someone who gives almost as little of a fuck as me. A gorgeous woman who has my back no matter how crazy shit gets so." He held up the ring box he'd had hidden in his hand. "Will you be Mrs Kayn?"

"Holy shit!" I tried to catch my breath. "Of course!" I sobbed as I guided myself to the couch, nearly falling.

He slid the ring on my finger and chuckled. "So fucking cheesy."

I threw my arms around his neck, crying into his shoulder. "It was gouda." I laughed.

"Ugh!" He groaned as he laughed. "What a loser." He hugged me softly.

As we separated we saw Sett holding his phone, letting out a small sniffle. "Are you crying?" I laughed.

"Nerd!" Kayn teased.

I stared at the ring in disbelief. A gorgeous marquise-cut alexandrite was the focus of the ring. On the black band were little opals. The way it was made almost made it look like a tiara.

"Should we go out to celebrate?" Kayn asked softly. "Maybe dinner with the gang?"

"You just got home from..." I started in concern.

"I'm craving good food." Kayn cut me off. "A week of the hospital's excuse for food has me wanting some better."

"Dinner and maybe we could all come here for a movie?" Sett suggested.

I sighed as I realized there was no fighting. "Ok, but you've gotta take it easy."

"I will." Kayn agreed with a smirk.

~~~~

"No way!" Aiko screeched as she held my left hand in front of her and Yuri.

"What kind of metal..." Yuri started.

"Black gold," Kayn answered before she could finish. "Yes, the stones are real. Got it custom-made. Don't ask about the price."

Giggling I let them gawk a bit longer. "Where are you guys going to get married?" Ezreal asked as he joined the girls.

"No idea," I responded honestly.

"Sett should've gotten a shot of the ring in the video." Yone chuckled. "You did well, Kayn."

"Oooo," K'Sante smirked as he looked at the ring. "I could design the dress."

"Oh my god." Yuri gasped. "Could you imagine?"

The hostess finally took us to the massive round table at the back of the restaurant. We sat while everybody talked wedding. Kayn and I had agreed that we'd plan at our leisure, but at least wait until he'd healed fully. While we waited for our food I snapped a quick photo and posted it.

New definition of family - The ones who will be by you no matter what.