42

Kayn's stuff hadn't been cleared out entirely. His PC sat in its spot. His posters still covered his side of the office. Nothing on his desk had been touched. Most of his clothes remained in the closet.

On my way home I stopped by the liquor store and the smoke shop. Yuri and Yone tried to convince me to stay with Yuri for the night, but I needed to know that all of what happened was real.

Two days passed without a single attempt of contact from anyone. Sitting on my couch, I drank my whisky and hit my vape. The TV was off, but my eyes still stayed glued to it. Sett had messaged me that he needed to come over. I told him that the door was unlocked.

Sett walked in, his eyes falling on me, filling with sorrow. "Hey," he spoke gently.

"You needed something," I responded hollowly.

He sat by me, pulling out an envelope. "This is from him." He held it over to me.

Taking the envelope, I opened it to find cash and his house key. Taking the key, I gave the envelope back. He took it reluctantly and looked around at the mess.

"How..." He started before shaking his head, "what have you been..." He stopped himself again.

"You see it," I replied.

Uncomfortably, he shifted in his seat. "Jim seems to like the cat tree I picked." He pointed out.

I watched Jim clean himself atop his perch. "He used to sit there when Kayn would go out to take out the trash or check the mail," I informed him blankly.

"Mika," he spoke as if he were unsure of himself, "would it be ok if I stayed in the guest room tonight?"

My head turned so I was looking directly at him. "Why?" I asked coldly.

"We're worried about you." He confessed openly.

"Do whatever you want." I gave my permission unenthusiastically.

As I took a drink from my bottle I could hear Kayn's voice in my head.

~~~~

"Your eyes remind me of the moon," Kayn said tenderly, trailing his finger under my eye. "You're everything to me, Mika."

"I never want to be anywhere that's not by your side," I replied with a smile.

Pulling me into his lap, his hands rested on my hips. "I'll never leave you alone, princess." He whispered against my lips. "Fuck, I'd do anything to spend the rest of my life knowing your love and care."

I put the healing ointment on my thumb before brushing it over his tattoo. "I'll be your girl forever."

~~~~

Sett had turned on the TV. I didn't notice as I got lost in my memories. Wobbling, I got up and went to the kitchen. My vision was blurred heavily. Trying to find a snack, I saw the pudding cups. I remembered our first fight and closed the fridge.

Turning around, I bumped into something. Sett caught me quickly, ensuring I didn't fall. His warmth was nice. My fingers found their way to the lines of his chest.

"Sett," I felt my face flush.

"No, no, no," he quickly got me steady and took a step back. "Not gonna happen."

I pouted as I gave him puppy dog eyes. "But you're single..." I replied.

He threw me over his shoulder, groaning. "And you are clearly incapable of thinking straight." He said as he grabbed something from the cabinet. "What have you had to eat today?"

"I haven't," I replied, disappointed. "Why are you changing the subject?"

"How much have you had to drink?" He continued his questions as he walked us back to the living room.

"You're right!" I exclaimed. "I need another bottle, one wasn't enough."

Plopping me on the couch, he thrust a bag of pretzels at me. "No more drinking for the night. Food and then sleep." He ordered.

Flipping him off, I took the pretzels and opened them. "Who do you think you are? My dad?" I grumbled.

"No," he responded as he pulled his phone from his pocket, "I'm the man Kayn sent to ensure that you're ok."

"Fuck Kayn." My voice cracked as I struggled to say his name. "Don't lie to me. One of the girls put you up to this. He's too busy burying his dick in the pop star princess to worry about me." I threw my pretzels across the room in anger. "Fuck your pretzels!"

I'd gotten up to my bedroom before I collapsed to my knees. Tears rolled down my cheeks. The only word that I could say was Kayn's name. Jim brushed against my face. Not even his soft fur could bring me out of my hysterics. I regretted that day. If I could've gone back I wouldn't have said a word. I would've left the office and endured. Anything to keep him from leaving. My emotions flurried so violently that I started to scream.

Hands grasped my shoulders, pulling me to a firm chest. My body tightened into a ball as I tried to forget his face. The way his voice haunted me was sickening. There was nothing that compared to his warmth.

"Hello?" Sett spoke into his phone as he pulled it from his pocket. "Are you still there?" Pulling his phone from his ear he looked panicked. "Fuck." He whispered under his breath. "Breath, Mika."

"Kayn!" I howled in agonizing pain.

Sett squeezed me as he slid his phone aside. "I know it hurts." He whispered. "Breath with me, ok?"

I tried to follow Sett's breathing, but every breath came out in the form of a scream. There was no solace for me. I'd been cursed. At least one of us meant what they said. I was Kayn's girl for the rest of my life. Whether he was by my side or not. Whether I wanted to be or not. I was tethered to him via some hellish bond.

Sett held me as tight as he could, rocking me gently. My head throbbed ruthlessly. My throat felt shredded. All I could do was scream.