Chapter 37

Moonbyul walked out of the cabin and spotted someone hiding behind a plant. She let out a sigh, already knowing who it was. "Hey, Mr. Kang! Shouldn't you be meeting your family?" she asked, her voice tinged with a mix of annoyance and concern. The man, looking nervous and avoiding eye contact, finally emerged from his hiding spot.

"I... I don't think they'd want to see me right now," Mr. Kang stammered, his voice filled with a tinge of sadness and vulnerability. "But can I have a word with you?" Moonbyul let out a weary sigh, her disappointment evident in her eyes. "What is it that you want to talk about?" she asked, her tone a mix of curiosity and caution. Sensing his hesitation, Mr. Kang suggested finding a quieter spot. Moonbyul nodded, silently agreeing, and followed him as they ventured away from the bustling crowd, seeking solace in a more secluded setting.

Mr. Kang's nervous demeanor continued to test Moonbyul's patience as they settled on a bench in the serene garden of the hospital. He mustered up the courage to speak, his voice quivering slightly, "How is she?" Moonbyul's eyebrows furrowed as she unfolded her arms, her curiosity piqued. "How is who?" she questioned, her tone slightly skeptical. Mr. Kang scratched the back of his neck in a nervous gesture, his words stumbling out, "You know who I meant." Moonbyul's frustration began to surface as she retorted, "If you care so much, why don't you go see for yourself?" Her words carried a hint of annoyance, challenging Mr. Kang to take action instead of relying on others for information.

"I do care for her... I still do," Mr. Kang began, his voice filled with a mix of remorse and desperation. But before he could continue, Moonbyul interjected, her voice firm yet tinged with frustration, "Hold on, please hold on, Mr. Kang. Spare me the sob story about why you cheated on your wife and abandoned your son when they needed you the most. What's your excuse? What's your sob story?" Her words carried a hint of anger, causing a few patients and nurses nearby to glance in their direction. Sensing the attention, they quickly turned away, minding their own business, prompting Moonbyul to lower her voice.
Mr. Kang was momentarily rendered speechless, his voice barely a whisper as he stammered, "I... I had my reasons too." Moonbyul let out a scoff, her gaze averted, as she muttered, "What reasons, huh?" However, before she could continue, a voice from behind interrupted their conversation. Both Moonbyul and Mr. Kang turned around to find Taehyun standing there, his presence evoking a mixture of worry and tenderness within Moonbyul. Taehyun's face remained cold and impassive, but it was clear that he was suppressing a myriad of emotions behind that blank expression. Moonbyul's heart ached at the sight of a child forced to mature too quickly due to his family circumstances.

"What reasons, dad?" Taehyun asked, his voice steady but filled with a mix of curiosity and disappointment. His gaze remained fixed on his father, cold and emotionless. Moonbyul, sensing the tension, questioned if she should give them some space, but Taehyun immediately shook his head and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "No, please stay," he said, his voice firm yet gentle. "I'm sure you need to know his reasons too." Mr. Kang, unable to meet his son's gaze, averted his eyes, his silence speaking volumes.

"I've loved your mom, and I still care for her, but at that time, I reached a breaking point. I couldn't handle everything anymore. It made me miserable too," his dad reasoned, his voice filled with a mix of sadness and regret. Taehyun listened quietly, absorbing his father's words. Moonbyul, on the other hand, looked more annoyed than ever. Her voice was calmer but laced with frustration as she stated, "If you truly cared and loved her enough, she wouldn't have been 'too much' for you, Mr. Kang." Her words held a hint of disappointment. "If you cared enough, you would have understood that she was suffering ten times more than you were, Dad! If you hadn't abandoned us for your own comfort, maybe we wouldn't have to face this day..." Taehyun's voice broke, his emotions bubbling to the surface. He fought back tears, his jaw clenched. "Are you happy now? After all this time? You found your own family and forgot about us?" His lips trembled as he let his pent-up emotions pour out.