eighteen

Alexa's POV

The dance died down and everyone started to leave. Dallas and I included.

Dallas walked me back to my place and I unlocked the door. "Do you wanna come in for a bit? I know you gotta get back and pack and Johnny'll be there soon, but maybe a quick bite of ice cream?"

"I dunno. I got a lot to do tonight."

"Alright." I said with a tint of disappointment. "I understand." It was silent for a moment. I spoke up. "Dallas?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said, still in the doorway.

"Is this gonna be the last time I see you?"

He frowned. "I guess so."

I looked down. "Wow. Well, I guess this is goodbye then."

He pulled me into a tight hug and I had to force myself to hold back my tears for just a few more minutes.

He finally pulled away and I gave him a weak smile. I took a breath. "I wish you nothing, but the best, Dal."

"You too, Alexa. You're going places. I'm rootin' for ya."

I smiled. "Bye, Dally."

He didn't say anything else. Just a wave before he walked down the hallway.

I closed the door and I could barely lock it before I burst into tears.

Man, was I gonna miss him.

I quickly accepted that life must go on and I took a shower before sinking into bed. And although I accepted that life was going on, it was still devastating to thing that life is gonna go on... except without him.

I fell asleep trying not to cry every second.

Eventually, I sunk into it.

Hours passed and I heard a repetitive knock on the door. It startled me. I looked at my clock. 3:51.

Is dad home?

I slowly inched towards the door where there was still that repeating knock.

I was hesitant to get close to it. Who would be here at almost four in the morning?

I looked to make sure my baseball bat was in the corner as I looked through the peep hole.

It was Dallas.

It was Dallas?

What is he doing here.

I rubbed my eyes and opened the door. "Dallas?"

He grabbed my shoulders. "Alexa!"

"Dallas! Are you okay?"

He looked at me like he was eager to say something. He paused for a moment. His hands still gripped on my shoulders. "Can I have some ice cream?"

"What?" I asked plainly.

"You offered me ice cream earlier and I declined. But I really want some."

"Uh... you do know you nearly gave me a heart attack and it is four in the morning, right?"

"Yeah. It was important."

"Uhh... well, it's in the freezer. But I'm real tired so... help yourself, I guess?"

"No! You have to eat it with me."

"Dal, I'm not in the mood for ice cream right now. I can't believe you came all this way for just some basic vanilla."

I went back to bed after locking the door behind Dallas. He dug in and instead of my sad feelings taking over, I was just simply confused.

Dallas' POV

I walked back into my old man's apartment after dropping Alexa off at home. Johnny was already there helping me pack the rest of my stuff that I left here years ago.

"Hey, Dal. How'd it go?"

I sighed. "We said goodbye. She offered me some ice cream, but I just couldn't stay. If I'm being honest, it's gonna suck leaving her here."

"I know, Dal."

"How'd it go with that Marina chick."

"We said goodbye. We had fun and it's time to move on."

I just don't think I have it in me to move on.

"I should've had some ice cream. Spend some time with her. I told her I had to pack and we're practically already done. Not that I came up here with anything. Just some old stuff. Goddammit!"

I hit the wall and groaned.

"Dal..." Johnny started.

"I can't leave her. I can't."

"Dallas, you have to. We have to go back."

I sighed. "I know... I know! God, what did this girl do to me?"

"Can I ask ya a question that may be a bit personal?" He asked.

"I guess."

"I know you two kissed. Did you guys go any farther?"

I sighed. "The night after the homecoming football game we did. Home run. And I was so terrible about it afterwards. It was great, don't get me wrong, but our conversations ran dry and I made us leave. I didn't want to be connected. I didn't want to be attached to her, because I knew we had to go. Hurt her so she didn't get upset about me going. But it was too late. Ever since we were in that storage closet I got attached. I dunno if she did, but I know I did."

I cursed under my breath.

"I'm sorry, Dal. But there's so many other girls out there. You'll find someone else."

"Not like her. She's different. She's everything in one."

"And just a couple weeks ago you hated her guts."

"I was wrong about her. She taught me things. She was nice to me. She stood up for me..." I trailed off. It was silent for a moment. "Do you think she'd come to Tulsa with me?"

"Dallas, you can't expect her to throw her life away. She seems to have it pretty good. I doubt she'd ever leave this behind."

"You don't know her like I do. She hates it here."

"But it's also been her life for seventeen years."

I sighed. "You're right. It was a silly idea, anyway."

I left it at that and Johnny and I fell asleep.

At least he did.

I was up.

I was thinking about her.

I had to ask.

It couldn't hurt.

And if it backfired, we'd leave and none of us would be hurt.

I looked at the clock. It was just after three.

I nudged Johnny. "Johnny... Johnny... Johnny wake up."

"Hmm..." He muttered twisting around.

"Johnny, I'm gonna go ask her if she wants to go. It can't hurt."

"Alright, Dal." He mumbled. He was too tired to process what I was saying.

"I'll be back. Lock the door."

"You're actually gonna go ask."

"Worst thing she says is no. Then maybe we'd both feel better about me leaving."

I rushed out the door and down to her place. I've never run faster. I had to ask. I didn't have it in me to leave her.

I knocked and knocked and knocked until she answered. She opened it and even through her drowsiness she still looked beautiful.

I knew what I was gonna say.

It was going through my mind the entire way here.

And all I could do was ask for ice cream...