Hide-and-Seek - Chapter VI

"...They will suffer, sacrifice, and die because of my order."

"It is not death that will greet them.. They will be swept into the infancy of a new world."

"What about the Underworlders? They will lose the protection of the Architects. They will see me... as a tyrant."

"You have witnessed... the world we have promised."
"A temporary misunderstanding... for an eternity of prosperity."
"We will honor... your decision."

"..."
"I understand."

--- 

"...Come on, those toys of yours aren't that dangerous.", an unfamiliar caring voice said

"Uh, then why hasn't she woken up yet?". This was definitely Sampo.

"Because she's sound asleep — didn't you hear her sleep talking? ...Poor child, sounded like a bad nightmare."
"Tell me the truth, Sampo, what are you going to do about that Overworld girl?"

"What am I gonna do about her? Why, wait for the opportunity and send her back together with the rest of them of course, I... Hey come on, what's with the—"

"You're a bad liar, Sampo Koski."

"Wha— ...I didn't mean to bring her along! The smoke was too dense, I was in a daze! Before I knew it, I'd somehow dragged her down here too.", the man nervously chuckled.

"What are you up to, Sampo? Why do you insist on getting caught up in Overworld affairs that have nothing to do with you? If it's a whole lot more attention from Wildfire you want, you're going about it the right way."

"Hey now! Sampo Koski's primary concern is taking care of his friends. These guys scratched my back. How could I live with myself if I didn't scratch theirs? And another thing! Where does Wildfire get off... assuming that these fine folks won't come in useful to them, huh? I mean, you never know."

"Which is why you've set them loose in the underground?"

"Come on, accidents happen! I'll have them rounded up in no time."

" That girl... get her back as soon as possible, then don't let her out of your sight. The underground has been sealed off for over ten years now — the children won't even remember what overgrounders look like. If a girl in a Silvermane Guard uniform suddenly shows up..."
"...what would Wildfire do with her? What would they do with you?"

"Alright, I get it! I'm setting off right now. I'll have to trouble you to look after them while I'm gone, ma'am."

"...Hey, sleepyhead, looks like you're awake."

Stelle fluttered her eyes open. Where was she? Who was this woman? Where was everyone else?

"How are you feeling? Any aches or pains?", the mysterious doctor asked caringly. 

"No, I feel much better.", Stelle nodded.

"Well, now that you're awake, you should probably try moving your limbs. I'm Natasha — a doctor in the underground. You've already spent a day in my clinic.".

"This is your clinic?"

"Mm-hmm, I'm afraid the conditions underground are terrible. People get sick easily here, and I'm the only doctor.". she sighed.
"Sampo's gone to clear up a mess of his own making, so I'm looking after you in the meantime. Based on your current state, I don't think there's any cause for alarm — you seem perfectly healthy. So if you don't mind, I'll go and take a look at the other patients?"

"Where are my friends?"

"They've been up for a while already. The young guy with the dark hair left first — he went with Sampo. Your rowdier friend took off soon after waking up. I imagine she'll be taking a stroll nearby. As for the girl in the Silvermane Guard uniform, I told Sampo to watch her... but it seems that he left his post and she made a run for it."