Roads to the Past Have Long Been Closed - Chapter XXIII

Everwinter Hill.

A cold place filled with the remains of what was the Antimatter Legion, frozen, and yet Stelle somehow managed to say - "I hereby call it.. March 8th!"

They went up the stairs. It looked like the shape of a hand, and finally, at one of the highest points of Jarilo-VI. 

Bronya and Cocolia! They were there.

"...N—No...", Bronya shook her head.

"Do not resist, Bronya... Accept the common will!", Cocolia commanded.

" No... I... I don't want this..."

" Look upon their promised future, Bronya! A world without poverty, without cold, without suffering... A world where people no longer have to pray like prisoners for survival... A world that we can guard for all eternity.

Seven hundred years ago, we tried and fought unceasingly, believing that the radiance of human nature could shepherd us towards rejuvenation. And to what end? A crushing defeat! Why, when faced with irrefutable strength, is our first thought always to resist, to cover our ears, instead of hearing the call? It is the conceit and cowardice entrenched in the depths of human nature so difficult to efface. Cast them aside, break free of the chains that bind you! The Stellaron will lead humanity to evolve, and they will..."

"Your brainwashing ends here, witch!", Seele shouted.

"..Seele?", Bronya looked at Seele.

"...You came. I thought the blizzards had entombed you...", Cocolia muttered.

"You wish! We're not going down before you do!", Seele shouted back.

"Bronya! I don't know what happened between you and them. Even if you explained it to me, I probably wouldn't understand all the crazy details. But there are two things I do know... One: These guys have come through hell to get here — to seal this Stellaron thing. And two: Do you remember what I said? If anything happened to you, I'd save you.", Seele said. "Do you understand? Even if the damage is done — even if you've completely forgotten our promise, then... then I'm just gonna have to knock you out and bring you back myself!"

"We need you.. Belobog needs you, Bronya.", Stelle encouraged.

"Seele.. All of you..", Bronya smiled.

"...Finished? I think I've given you long enough, to... bid farewell. It's time told you my other reason for bringing you here, Bronya.", Cocolia interrupted.

Oh, Cocolia. I'm not letting you get away with this bullshit. Seele thought.

" I want to witness your choice. I have told you all the truths there are to tell: The deal with the Stellaron, the wish I made to it. There are no more secrets between us.

Many years ago, the voice of the Stellaron sounded in my ears for the first time. I was no different from the previous generations of guardians... I withdrew, refused to hear. I was as you are now — bitterly defending the Architects' so-called 'Preservation...'. My conviction was once steadfast, unparalleled... until a sudden change arrived and threw everything into chaos. Another choice appeared before me — a subversion of the old order... and the welcoming of a new world. And compared to the illusory, evermore distant Preservation, this was so tangible...", Cocolia said.

She breathed in, and out. "I have agonized — long agonized over how to convey all this to you. Inevitably, the promised tomorrow will transpire... but if you were not there beside me, to watch over that new world... ...Then I would descend into torment, Bronya — enduring torment!".

That was all Cocolia wanted. For her beloved daughter to watch over the new world with her. "Perhaps I should be thanking you, outsiders. The pressure you have imposed... has at long last compelled me to confront my final... weakness. Bronya, throughout your life, I have never forced you to submit to my will. You have always, will always have a choice... as then, so now. Choose, my daughter."