Young Guard - Chapter XXI

Side note: Why did past me choose to name the chapters based on Roman Numerals? Ehh, too lazy to change it.

--

Time. Time was quite valuable in the quest of the Astral Express's.

Running in the nick of time to save a dying planet from a Stellaron, too late to save a planet from its effects.. 

Oh, how important time was.

And now, Kevin appeared just a little too late.

"Stand down!", Gepard slammed his guitar case into the ground. As long as he was standing.. he wouldn't let anyone breach the barrier. No one.

"Of course not!", March aimed an arrow straight at his guitar case. "We're trying to-"

"It's worthless, March! We have to somehow - defeat him.", Serval strum that guitar again, and lightning rained down. Stelle took this as a signal to hit Gepard with the bat, hoping it would knock him out. 

It didn't. He managed to knock Stelle out from the field, and the Shamash she carried landed with a *clang*!

Dan Heng, ever as quick, spun his spear around. Shreds of leather were torn off from the guitar case that had defended Gepard for all this while. In a joint attack with Seele, the two unleashed fast attack after fast attack. 

And yet, Gepard still took every blow after blow, never faltering. He even managed to put up a good fight of his own.

Meanwhile, all the soldiers had given up. Some were exhausted, some were out of stamina.

And Gepard still refused to yield.

And finally, Kevin appeared. However, he wasn't noticed. In the heat of the moment, everyone was focusing on the conflict. He managed to pick Shamash up, once more.

"H-hey... didn't you say.. you'd..", Stelle managed to say.

"I regret giving it to someone that can't figure out the difference between a trashcan and a love interest."

"This guy... knows how to put up a fight. I've never come up against anyone this relentless!", Seele pointed her scythe against Gepard, barely holding onto it.

"Phew... he just won't go down...", March sighed, beads of sweat visible on her forehead. "I'll.. have to get a new outfit after this." 

"He's as stubborn as I am. It could be an argument or a fight — he'll do both to the death... That's why he bugs the heck out of me!", Serval said. "That's enough, Gepard. Take a look around you! You're the last man standing!"

Gepard breathed in. "..Even if I am.. I won't yield..."

"We don't need you to yield. We need you to understand.".

Kevin walked in. 

"Hey, what are you doing appearing out of nowhere like that!?", March shouted.

Dan Heng immediately cut in, "We don't want you to yield through force of arms. That wouldn't be a victory for us.".

And of course it wouldn't. After all, their aim was only to preserve this world. 

Bronya's letter. The heartfelt wishes of the Underworld and the Overworld. Serval. And the beating he received from the Astral Express.

In the end, Gepard realized it - to stop the disaster from further destroying Jarilo-VI, they would have to destroy the Stellaron.

There were two obstacles. One immediate, and the other threatening. Far more than the first one. 

The first one.. was the Fragmentum behind the gate.

--