To Rot or To Burn - Chapter XVI

(a/n: guess what? despite possessing the judgement of shamash, kevin will choose the bat.)

"Hook!?", Seele looked at the small child before her.

"This I really wasn't expecting...", March thought. 

"So, the Moles are part of Wildfire.", Dan Heng said.

"Th—That's right! It's me, Pitch-Dark Hook the Great! What do you want?", Hook put her hands on her hips proudly, although her voice was quivering.

"Uh, kiddo, I think there's been a misunderstanding... I will be your guide, friends. By order of Chief Oleg... I gotta say I'm a little upset at the thought of you choosing a toddler over your old buddy Sampo...", Sampo appeared out of nowhere, as usual.

"Alright, alright, don't get started. But I wanna ask you something: Everyone in Wildfire knows the location of Svarog's lair. Why do we need you as a guide?", Seele said.

"My specialties in the field, perhaps? Wildfire may know where the base is, but have they ever been inside?"

"You've been inside?"

"...No. But I've felt my way around the outside and picked up more than a few clues. I can help you. You have my word."

Kevin glared at Sampo. "Let's hope you can walk the talk.".

"Hey, what are you trying to say!? Name me someone above or below ground that walks the talk like Sampo Koski.", Sampo chuckled nervously. "My legacy will prove that Sampo Koski was nothing but a willing and devoted servant of—"

"Ugh, enough! Jeez! We believe you, okay? Show us the way already.", March groaned.

"Great! Stay close."

-- 

"Sampo... Are we there yet?", March sighed.

Sampo chuckled. "Do you have to ask every other minute, missy? Two more steps, just two more steps and you're there."

The base was far more lively than any Trailblazer could imagine. It wasn't bustling-bustling, but there were certainly a little community living here. Perhaps it was why it was called a 'settlement'.

"This is Svarog's lair? I thought it'd be cold and lifeless, turns out it's pretty busy!", March looked around the place. 

"Many vagrants are staying here temporarily. Their homes were overrun by monsters.", Seele said.

"Isn't it dangerous for them to make camp right under Svarog's metal nose?"

"No. Svarog may be ruthless, but he never attacks without reason. For those with no home, this is actually a safe place to be. Hm... If I hadn't moved away when I did, I'd probably be where they are right now."

Meanwhile, a few vagrants were discussing off in a corner of the settlement. They were talking quite loudly.

"Did you hear? Those idiots got into a fight in the mine, haha! It only got settled after Boss Svarog showed up.", a vagrant said in a degrading tone. "I've said it before — only Boss Svarog can protect us down here. Everyone should follow his lead. Well, what do you think? Cat got your tongue?"

The other vagrant sighed. "...Do you ever talk about anything else? I'm so tired of hearing about Svarog."

"B-But it's true. What else is there to say. Take a look at all these good-for-nothings... They'd starve to death without him.", the Svarog-loving vagrant stuttered, not pleased that he didn't find a person to share his love for the one-eyed robot with.