Within The Mine - Chapter IX

"Ugh.. where is chief Oleg..", Seele sighed. 

"Is that a space anchor?", Kevin pointed to the blue thing.

"Don't know."

In the distance, they could hear arguments.

"...Cowards and bullies. I don't remember you guys acting this tough around Svarog's minions. Did your parents never teach you what a backbone was?"

"Pff! We ain't stupid! Why would we risk our lives against the robots? And get off the high road — you can't just find a huge chunk of Geomarrow and hog it all to yourselves!"

"Let's get closer and take a look, I feel like a huge argument is happening!", March 7th ran towards them.

"This mine is our territory — the mining team is laboring here day in and day out. You guy's don't even pretend like you're here to lend a hand!", Antonia, one of the miners shouted. "You're lazy. All you want is to profit off of our sweat and tears. And you don't even try hiding it! ...Disgraceful.".

"Where does disgrace come into it when we can't even fill our stomachs, huh!? I know your game — you're just waiting for us to starve to death, so there's more food for your mining team.", the vagrant replied angrily. 

"...It's a waste of time trying to reason with you. While you've been kicking up this fuss, the whole vein's been seized by robots. Now we're all in the same boat."

"Hehe, right, right... we can't rely on the vein anymore... But don't forget which side brought loaded guns to the party."

"Stop.", Kevin finally intervened, saying something after quite a while.

"Who are you to interfere in our business!? Oh, yeah, you're the Silvermane Guard who had starved our people, obeyed that damn-"

"Do not insult the Supreme Guardian!", Bronya shouted. 

"Tsk, princess, no one gives a shit about the Supreme Guardian underground. To us, she's just a tyrant.", Seele rolled her eyes. 

"Aha, and who do we have here? Do you know whose territory this is!?", the vagrant chuckled.

"Shut it, this isn't your territory. I'm in a hurry — I'll take you all in one go!", Seele sliced one of the vagrants quickly with her scythe, quickly shifting to the other one with an impressive speed and sending them away.

One of them nearly hit her with their shovel.

However...

*clang*

"...I stole Stelle's bat for that. Sorry.", Kevin awkwardly sighed. The bat was now laced with ice crystals. Its handle, in particular was getting quite cold.

"Grandpa, before you freeze my stuff, at least ask permission.", Stelle sighed. 

" Seele! Thank goodness you came. We were nearly...", Antonia breathed in and out.

"Nothing but a few knuckleheads. I'm just glad you're okay. Antonia, have you seen Chief Oleg?", Seele asked.

"Oleg? He took a group into the inner section. Said it was to clear off the invading robots. They've been gone for a while now. Hmph, if Wildfire was around, those thugs wouldn't have dared.", Antonia sighed.

"..Seems like the core of this problem is Svarog's robots...", Seele thought to herself.

"Hold on. Who, or what is Svarog?", Stelle asked.

"The boss... He appeared suddenly after the Guards were redeployed, and became a major player in the Underworld. Svarog claims to be a guardian of humanity — all the ownerless robots obey his commands. They've occupied the furnace core hub, and they're not letting anyone get close."
"Nobody knows why Svarog did any of this... He usually doesn't leave the and interfere unless some kind of disorder breaks out in the Underworld."

"...A "guardian of humanity" that can... command robots? I've never heard of anything like...", Bronya thought.

"Someone hasn't met their alternate universe counterpart.", Kevin chuckled.

"Hmph, looks like your mighty Architects weren't as all-knowing as you thought.", Seele chuckled a bit as well, slightly condescendingly.

"Can you two say anything without quarreling? Also, Kevin, stop fueling the fire! This isn't the time! It sounds like there's danger waiting for us in the inner section, can we still get through?", March stomped on the ground.

"I want to meet Svarog and his minions.", Stelle nodded.

"Right, there's unfinished business here — the chief is still down there. It's only a bunch of scrap metal. What are we afraid of?", Seele looked down on the horde of robots. 

"Ohh~ Is Seele starting to appreciate our strength? Hmm?", March asked.

"Ohh~! Is Kevin starting to appreciate my efforts? Hmm?", Elysia said in that distant memory. Confetti, a cake, and the banner saying: 'Happy Birthday, Kevin~!'. All his friends, and MEI were gathered there. He remembered that scene quite vividly, and very fondly. A smile crept on Kevin's face, although a bit of somber could be seen in his eyes.

"I'll be honest, you guys are hardworking. If everyone from Wildfire were as impressive as you on the battlefield, we wouldn't be so hard-pressed by Svarog.", Seele chuckled. "Antonia, can you take the mining team back through the entrance to meet up with Natasha?"

"Sure thing, but be careful! There are a lot of robots up ahead!", Antonia nods patiently, before she rushes to get the mining team.

They continue to push forward, towards the depths of the mine. 

"Kevin, if you don't mind me asking..", Bronya prepared herself, "Why did you say 'alternate universe' me? And what was with that smile?"

"..Nothing.", Kevin looked down on the ground. Why were there ice crystals? "Just glad that I could help resolve the crisis."

"If you insist, Kevin.", Bronya looked at the broken minecart. "Is this the right way? It looks like there's a roadblock up ahead."

"I'll lift it.", Kevin offered.

"You idiot, it'll destroy the thing like how you froze Stelle's weapon.", Seele rolled her eyes. "This belongs to the mining team."

"...Then what do we do?"

--

a/n: i thought of adding ice trailblazer like that except everytime they attack they lose their hp bcz cold

btw, stelle's bat was eventually unfrozen. took some time, but it was worth it.