EXTRA: Finnick's first time away from the twins

Marta and Finnick had just put the twins to bed for their nap and were in the kitchen preparing lunch when they received a video call from Commander Paylor:

Marta: Commander Paylor it is good to see you.

Commander Paylor smiles: Hi Mrs. Odair it's good to see you too. I need to ask you a favor.

Finnick nods: What can we help with?

Commander Paylor: I am meeting with each district representative, you two have been elected for that position. I was wondering if the two of you or at least one could come to the Capitol.

Marta looks at Finnick: I think you should go, the twins are still too little to travel.

Finnick nods: You're right, it would be hard to travel with them. How long will this take?

Commander Paylor: My goal is less than a week, I don't have the clear estimate, I am sorry.

Finnick sighs: I understand.

Commander Paylor: I will do my best to have you back home with your family soon, I know that your twins are two months old.

Marta nods: Thank you, Commander.

Finnick: When do I have to leave?

Commander: Tomorrow morning, the train will come and get you at eleven o'clock. I apologize again for the sudden meeting.

Finnick: I will be there, if that is all I will see you tomorrow Commander.

Commander: That is all, thank you for your collaboration. I apologize, Mrs. Odair for leaving you alone with twins.

Marta: I understand it's for greater good, I will manage, no need to apologize.

Commander Paylor nods with a smile: Bye Mr and Mrs. Odair.

Finnick and Marta wave goodbye and log off.

Marta hugs Finnick: I will send you videos and photos all the time.

Finnick hugs her: Thank you, it sucks that I have to leave you alone to solo parent the babies.

Marta: I will be fine, just focus on improving district 4.

Finnick: Do you want to call Annie and have her stay with you?

Marta: They can visit during the day but at night I want to be alone with them.

Finnick nods: If anything happens I am on the first train back.

Marta nods with a smile: I would tell you if something happened. Now let's eat and cuddle.

Finnick: I am taking Wiress and Jonathan out of the cribs, I need to hold them as much as I can before I have to go.

Marta smiles: I know, they can sleep with us tonight.

Finnick grins and rushes upstairs.

Marta sighs, it will be hard to be a solo parent but she needs to be strong. It will be harder for Finnick to be away.

Finnick and Marta shared a quiet dinner with the twins strapped on their chest, the atmosphere tinged with a bittersweet sense of anticipation.

Later that evening, Finnick cuddled the twins in bed. He whispered words of love and promises, assuring them that he would return soon. Marta, standing in the doorway, watched the tender scene unfold, her heart echoing the mix of emotions Finnick felt.

Marta walks in and leans her head on his shoulder as she cuddles up to him.

Finnick: I hope that they don't do anything new whilst I am gone.