CHAPTER 11

TWO WEEKS LATER

Finnick goes to visit Plutarch while Marta is with Johanna: I need to ask you something.

Plutarch: What is it?

Finnick: I want to ask Marta to marry me, if she agrees, I want to have the wedding here.

Plutarch: You need to ask Coin.

Finnick nods: Where is she?

Plutarch: In her office, I will go with you and help you convince her.

COIN'S OFFICE

Coin: Come on in.

Finnick: Hello president, I am sorry to come unannounced.

Coin: It's fine, what do you need?

Finnick: I wanted to ask Marta to marry me, if she agrees to hold the wedding here.

Coin nods: You can marry her but no wedding banquet.

Plutarch: If I may, it doesn't have to be special. It can be the normal food all together. It can help with people's moral.

Coin nods: I'll think about it.

Finnick nods: Thank you.

Plutarch and Finnick leave: You will have a banquet. I will figure it out.

Finnick: Thanks Plutarch.

Plutarch: Go find a ring soldier.

Finnick: I already have it. I bought it before the quarter quell. I carry it around my neck.

Plutarch smiles: Go propose then.

Finnick nods and goes to find Marta in the hospital.

AT THE HOSPITAL

Finnick walks inside Johanna and Peeta's room smiling: Hey.

Johanna looks at him: What's got you smiling?

Finnick: Nothing, I am just happy. Can I steal Marta for a second?

Peeta nods: She's all yours.

Marta walks out with Finnick, he walks her to their room.

AT MARTA AND FINNICK'S ROOM

In the quiet solitude of their room in District 13, Finnick Odair and Marta found a rare moment of respite from the challenges that surrounded them. The room, stark and functional, served as an unexpected backdrop for a significant moment that would transcend the bleakness of their current existence.

Finnick, with a mixture of nervousness and determination, cleared his throat and took Marta's hands into his own. His gaze met hers, and he spoke with a sincerity that echoed through the confined space.

"Marta," he began, his voice steady but filled with emotion, "we've faced unimaginable hardships together. In this sea of uncertainty, you've been my anchor. I can't promise you a life of ease, but I can promise to stand by you through whatever comes our way."

With those words, Finnick took the chain off his neck. As he opened it, a soft glint of light revealed a simple yet elegant ring nestled within. The band was made of resilient material, a symbol of strength, and the centerpiece held a small, carefully chosen gem—a token of hope in the midst of their challenging reality.

"Marta, will you marry me?" Finnick asked, his eyes reflecting vulnerability and love.

Marta's eyes widened in surprise, her heart pounding with a mix of emotions. She took a moment, savoring the significance of the gesture and the depth of their connection. A tear welled in her eye as she smiled.

"Yes, Finnick," she replied, her voice a mixture of joy and certainty. "I will marry you."

Finnick gently took the ring from its box and slid it onto Marta's finger. The cool metal became a symbol of their commitment—a beacon of hope in a world that seemed determined to extinguish it.

As they embraced, the room transformed from a cold, utilitarian space into a sanctuary of love. In the heart of District 13, amidst the shadows of their struggles, Finnick and Marta had created a moment that transcended the harsh reality they faced—a promise of love and resilience that would carry them through the challenges that lay ahead.

This is the ring:

BACK AT THE HOSPITAL

Finnick and Marta visit Johanna and Peeta to announce their engagement.

Johanna smiles: Look who's back.

Marta lifts her left hand: Look.

Peeta smiles: Congratulations.

Johanna smiles: I am happy for you guys.

Prim walks inside to give Peeta his medicine: Hi guys.

Peeta smiles: Hi Prim, look at Finnick and Marta.

Prim looks at them: What is wrong?

Finnick smiles: Everything is great, we are getting married.

Marta smiles and lifts her left hand, showing the ring.

Prim smiles and hugs them: Congratulations.

Then, the couple leaves to inform Coin and Plutarch of their wedding.

Plutarch smiles: We can hold it in a week.

Marta nods with a smile: Perfect, thanks.

Finnick nods smiling: Perfect.

A DAY LATER

Effie and Johanna helped Marta make a wedding dress. Their outfits look like this:

Effie wipes her tears: You will be the most beautiful bride.

Johanna nods: I agree.

Marta smiles and wipes a tear: It's finally happening.