Chapter 106: Preparation For War III

"When you put it that way, a lot of things don't add up" Jerald said "Devils are lazy from what I've seen so far. They don't do anything unless their superior orders them to, or it interests them"
"Are you basing that theory just on meeting me?" Kathy asked
"Is he wrong?" Marcus asked with a raised brow, and Kathy placed her hand on her chin and smiled
"He truly isn't lying" Kathy said "We tend to hate responsibilities and only act out when it either interests us, or our superior ordered us to. It would be better if our superior orders us to, because when we gain interest in something, useless we completely carry out what we wanted on that thing, we'll become quite bothersome"
"So, the best conclusion is to say that they found something really interesting to them, and have decided to cause trouble" Timothy said "Isn't your kind a little crazy?"
"Unlike demons, devils are pure evil spirits. We are deprived" Kathy said "There is even a saying among the devils, 'Demons are just humans who gave themselves up to evil. They have regrets and emotions which we can only crave'. My kind is quite the nuclear disaster"
"So, we're that bad to be compared to humans?" Rebecca asked and Kathy smiled
"And? What was your reason for coming to the human world?" Priya asked
"Every Succubus and Incubus dreams of outworldish pleasure" Xavier said "If they can't find that in hell, they come here. But Kathy...wanted to know what it felt like to fall in love"
"Boy did I regret what I wanted, after I arrived" Kathy said "More than half of my powers were taken when I entered this place and the person I loved, died. Though I said I regret it, feelings like those don't exist among devils, so I don't know what it feels like" she shrugged
"Anyways, the last thing, is the identity of the traitor" Sloane said "Apparently, after Josey, numerous deaths of people, followed. All because of this traitor" she said "However, with the way Mrs Laura wrote about this person, it was either a mistake said person made which ended up aiding the enemy side, or someone who will join us at a later time, betrayed us and tricked the person who will play the role of the traitor. Emotions can easily be swayed....so of course, I'm not blaming anyone. Just don't be too gullible to be fooled"
At the end of her words, everyone instinctively turned to look at Christian which made Sloane facepalm herself
"What did I just say?" Sloane mumbled
"What? Why me? What about the children?" Christian asked
"I love my mum and dad. Plus, I can predict the future...I won't make that mistake" Mackenzie said
"I'm not that dumb" Lilith said "And no child will be needed on the war's forefront"
"Appearances aside, I'm actually a valedictorian" Giselle said "I'm pretty smart"
"Count me out of this war. I'm actually a coward who values a peaceful life" Kayden said
"You're the only one who makes little children like us, seem like adults" Rosco said, which pretty much ended the argument
Sloane cleared her throat to regain everyone's attention, "Christian is dumb. That much I won't deny, but we have more important matters to tend to" she said as she opened the folder on the table, and took out Nathan's hand written, deciphered notes "Thanks to Nathan's help in deciphering a journal that was left to me, we have discovered some additional problems. One, there were corrupt officials among the nobles, who had been taking out wealth from the royal treasuries, and hiding it beneath Greenwood Springs. Two, there are many tunnels under that human town, leading from the North to different areas above ground. Three, a devil with the ability to completely mask its presence as a human, is living in that town"
"When did that happen?" Xavier asked "Although I said I wouldn't take the job of watching the town seriously, there's no way something so dangerous could have been happening under my nose"
"The tunnels already existed long ago, so of course you wouldn't know anything about it" Sloane said while lowering the notes in hand "Those tunnels were created by members of the magic association, along with mages, such as Priya's ancestors, to hide the mechanism that can either completely erase Greenwood Springs from the memory of outsiders, or move the whole town within the mechanism's reach. The nobles simply found out about it by accident but since it was watched by the dragon keepers, and one of the dragon keepers married into the family which was solely loyal to mine, I know about said treasury and I'm currently the only, out of two direct descendants, who can open it"
"Then, Mackenzie can open that treasury too?" Natasha asked
"Naturally" Sloane said "But that is only for the treasury itself. There is also a barrier on each exit and entry, of the tunnels. However, the barrier has become weak over the years and is due to collapse today"
"If that happens, we'll be attacked from underneath because Snowfall can't reach things underground" Brianna said
"It's a good thing everyone quickly understands the severity of this situation" Sloane said
"Are you sure about that?" Cassandra asked before everyone turned to look at Christian, again
"Hey!" Christian yelled "Of course I understand"
"Sure" Clark mumbled before smiling "Muscle brained idiots become smart when it comes to stuff that involves a lot of muscle" he said casually and Sloane sighed
"Can we please focus?" Rebecca asked as she cleared her throat and they all became silent. She looked at Sloane "Sorry about that"
"Anyways, other than being attacked, the informant planted in the human town, is probably using these tunnels since the barriers are weakening, to hand out information to the North" Sloane said "From what I've seen so far, and from what I've experienced, the current North, don't give a damn about the humans in the human town. They don't even care about if we're found out during this war and will use magic as they please. Unfortunately, due to the rule placed on us to not harm humans, we've all had to limit our true strength when fighting. This has led to continuous loses on our side"
"We can't do anything about the human town even as that's the truth" Zephyr said "If we take action on them, when we're still soulbound to that rule, there'll be a serious backlash"
"That's true. Which is why, I have decided to take over the human town" Sloane said as she held the notes in one hand, while she used the other hand to snap her fingers.
One of the maps unrolled and floated in the air beside Sloane. It was the map with several red circles, "The North are currently cornered due to Snowfall, so making use of the tunnels underground, guarantees them a slight advantage. Moreover, due to the human town being at the centre of all four tribes, and the law that still binds us from killing humans even when accidental, we are forced to only attack from the West and East. Because, attacking through the centre, means causing the whole human town to enter a state of panic"
"We'll end up killing one of them by accident, if that were to happen" Mary said
"So, in order for there not to be any panic, we'll have to make the humans completely evacuate Greenwood Springs. We can't protect them while fighting and there's that possibility that we could kill them. That's why I've decided to take over the human town" Sloane said "The next town can easily be reached through the border, here in the South. Plus, with the power of the mechanism, as soon as the humans pass through the barrier around Greenwood Springs, all of their memories related to our kind and magic, will be completely erased. With that, we can fight as we please"
"I see" Allen said "It all makes sense now"
"For the mechanism, we'll need the key bearer, Priya, and Kayden, whose bloodline magic is barriers, and is deeply linked to both the South and North" Sloane said "If his powers were just barriers only, there would be a negative effect if the humans were to pass through it. But since one of his ancestors is someone from the North, which is deeply coated in spirit power, and the other is from the South, which is deeply coated in demonic power, he is the best candidate for this as too much spirit power or demonic power in the brains of ordinary humans, will cause them to explode"
"Wow. That's good for you, Kayden" Giselle said
"It's quite lucky for us in this case" Priya said
"And why do you say that?" Timothy asked
"Because...children like Kayden, are only born once every five hundred years in their family" Sloane said and everyone's minds went blank, before letting out a sigh of relief, "We truly are lucky that he was even born" she said
"Kayden, kid, you better live a long life" Xavier said as he ruffled Kayden's hair
"With that out of the way, we'll have to visit the human town today and inform them to start packing up" Sloane said "I'll set out with the group I left with last time, Kayden, and a couple staff from the castle for this. And tomorrow, I plan on sending the soldiers to the spirit world with Josey, Christian, Mary, Jerald and Fernanda as supervisors" she dropped the papers on the table
"I do agree that the military needs to be reformed" Marcus said
"Same here" Gard agreed
"Another piece of information is about the demon generals whose souls were taken. Other than Melissa, the other demon generals are already dead by now" Sloane said "Complete soul possession was used on them and as such, the original comrades that once fought alongside us, have had their souls destroyed and replaced with something evil. Once encountered on the battlefield, don't hesitate to kill. As for the other demon generals who escaped that disaster fourteen years ago, all three of them are currently buried in tombs within our reach. In other words, the red circles on this map. Once we actually start fighting, if we cross their tombs, a designated team will have to recover them"
"Ah. So I get to rest before setting out tomorrow" Jerald mumbled "Though, how long will we spend there?"
"A decade, maybe. I'll contact Dante via the Null Realm and let you guys know" Sloane said and the people involved all groaned "Lastly, our attacks will start from the blue areas on this map" she said as she held open a smaller map with blue markings "During that time, we will not only be attacking, but rescuing the civilians. When the stage is set four days from now, we'll set out"
"And the soldiers?" Zephyr asked
"While you all were targeting Christian, I sent a message to the whole settlement. The current soldiers and volunteering soldiers, immediately responded. And as for the hospital, I'd like to know if Kenzie, Giselle, Kathy and Mrs Rebecca would mind holding down the forte while the others are away" Sloane said as she rolled shut the map in her hands before it disappeared, along with the other stuff on the table. "Is that fine with everyone?" she asked as she took a seat on her chair
"Sounds like fun" Rebecca said
"I finally have something to do" Kathy said
"I'll give it my best" Giselle said
"I only have today to rest" Fernanda grumbled, "I better just start packing and get some sleep"
"Same here" Josey and Christian said
"It's going to be a while since I'll be away from you, Clark" Mary said
"Don't say things in a way people will misunderstand" Clark said "Also, don't lose your temper while you're there"
"Mum, can I come with you?" Mackenzie asked and Sloane nodded
"Well, you've got your answer, Princess" Xavier said "We're all in"
"Thanks, everybody to lending me your ears" Sloane said as one by one, everyone began to leave the room. However, Nathan, Mackenzie, Alexa, Priya, Timothy and Kathy remained rooted on their seats.
Nathan and Priya's heads suddenly landed on the table at the same time
"Are you both alright?" Xavier asked. He was just about to leave the room when the sound of two thuds reached his ears and he shut the door.
"Like I said earlier, I'm mentally exhausted" Nathan said "I just need some time to shut my eyes if not, I might just go crazy from the screams in my head" he said and Sloane got up from her seat before sitting next to him. This caused Nathan to raise up his head.
"Don't worry. This is only a one time thing" Sloane said as she pulled his head to rest on her bosoms, while combing her hand through his hair
'What the hell is this feeling?" Nathan wondered, as the screams in his head reduced and his fatigue slowly disappeared, while her scent flooded his nostrils. 'Who knew being this close to her would have such an effect?' He wondered while Mackenzie went over to Priya before doing the same thing
"How convenient it would be if I had this power" Priya said
"Xavier, your wife has been waiting for you" Sloane said
"Melissa?" Xavier asked
"She's wide awake and even walking around the settlement barefooted" Priya said
"She's also not wearing any thick clothes and none of use can handle her" Timothy said as he pinched between his brows "At this rate, she'll endanger her health, so please talk to your wife" he said and Xavier immediately ran out of the room
"I need to see her" Kathy said as she stood up and left the meeting room
"Now that they're gone, is there something you need to tell me, Alexa?" Sloane asked