Chapter 01 Letters

It was a cold night, and there was still heavy snow falling outside the palace.

The charcoal fire in Hanning Palace was extinguished a little, and the whole room was a little cold. 

The palace was silent. Pei Qing coaxed the child to sleep on the couch and looked at the maid Zhi Lan who had just walked in. The girl's hands and face were red from the cold, and there was snow on her hair.

"Empress." Zhilan called her softly.

"It's cold outside, you go and warm up by the fire first."

Zhi Lan felt warm in her heart, "Yes."

Pei Qing tucked the child into bed, looked at the sleeping Xiao Ji'an, sighed softly, and then stood up.

Zhi Lan warmed her hands, then carefully added charcoal to the hand stove, and handed it to Pei Qing: "Your Majesty is afraid of the cold, so don't freeze it."

No matter how cold their hands are, they can't keep their heart cold.

Pei Qing asked: "Has the letter been sent out?"

Zhilan nodded: "I have found an eunuch whom we can trust and hastened to the south. But... Madam, is this letter useful?"

Pei Qing shook her head, "I don't know."

She really doesn't know, but this is the only thing she can do. Zhi Lan covered Pei Qing's body with a thick cloak, and then quietly retreated. She knew that the empress would have to sit like this all night again.

After Zhi Lan retreated, the hall became even quieter. Pei Qing sat in front of the charcoal fire that was not warm, listening to the cold wind howling outside, wondering whether the letter for help could be successfully delivered to the person.

She never thought that such a day would come.

Married into the palace, took the position of her sister, raised her children, and continued the glory of the Pei family. Emperor Xiao Jing was her former brother-in-law and her current husband. But in Pei Qing's heart, she would rather call him brother-in-law for the rest of her life.

He is indeed a good brother-in-law. After her sister passed away, the post was vacant for three full years. Even though his health was deteriorating, and his only legitimate son, Xiao Ji'an, was still young. The ministers in the court were quarrelling over the succession and wrote one letter after another. But, he’s still unmoved.

Until his father Pei Zhiheng proposed that the second daughter of the Pei family should be brought into the palace as the prince’s step-mother. The prince could not be left without his mother to take care of him at such a young age. Pei Qing is the sister of the late Queen Pei Wan, and she is the person who will least harm Xiao Ji'an.

The courtiers scolded Pei Zhiheng for the status and glory of the Pei family, and even more for the unscrupulous son of the Pei family, Pei Cheng, who had illicitly loaned loan sharks and insulted people's lives and was sent to prison.

But Xiao Jing agreed immediately. When Pei Wan was alive, this sister was the one who loved her the most. He felt most at ease that his child could be raised by Pei Qing. With an imperial edict, Pei Qing entered the palace.

No one asked her if she was willing. After all, the position of queen was what many women dreamed of, and she got it effortlessly. By the way, she also had the eldest son whom the emperor loved by her side, who would one day ascend the throne. She, Pei Qing, is the queen mother of a country.

After entering the palace, the emperor did treat her well, even very politely. Listening to Pei calling him brother-in-law in private and telling him interesting stories about his sister's childhood, Xiao Jing's expressionless face had a faint smile.

So, Pei Qing favoured Guan Sixth Palace, and even the Pei family was reused. Pei Cheng, who was sent to prison, naturally returned to the Pei family to become a young master.

The world is jealous of her good fortune and jealous of her appearance.

But no one knew that the charming face reflected in the mirror rarely smiled since entering the palace.

She was lucky. Less than a year after entering the palace, Xiao Jing became seriously ill and bedridden. The former dynasty's harem was eyeing him, and there were many Xiao family members in the royal family. No one would accept a baby who was only a few years old as his successor. What's more, he also had an aunt who was a queen with little power in his mother's family.

Outside the palace, they are waiting for the news and do not shy away from it.

Pei Qing took Xiao Ji'an by her side and did not dare to be distracted for a moment. But she knew that once the group of people outside attacked, she would not be able to protect the child.

It didn't matter that she was dead, but Xiao Ji'an kept calling her mother like this. How could she let go, and how could she take this child to meet her sister underground?

No courtier was willing to say a word to her, and no concubine was willing to stand with her. Even the Pei family, the family that once regarded her as the highest honour, only retreated for fear of becoming the target of public criticism.

This is really good luck.

When Pei Qing wrote the letter asking for help, she probably knew how sarcastic and disdainful the person who read it would be.

If he can receive the letter, or if he receives it and is willing to open it and take a look.

Pei Qing closed her eyes, not thinking about that unruly face. She had prepared for the worst, and she was worthy of herself and her sister.

*If you think the novel is very exciting, please vote and share it with your friends. Thank you for your support!*