Chapter 19 Warm Night

For such excessive demands, the final result was that Xiao Ji'an glared at Xiao Yuan angrily and shouted loudly: "I have my own father, you are not my father!"

Seeing Xiao Yuan's expression as if he was about to beat a child, Pei Qing hurriedly stepped forward and said, "Uncle Huang is joking with you. The food is getting cold. Today we have steamed seabass that Ji'er likes. Come quickly."

She asked Xiao Jian to sit opposite Xiao Yuan, the farthest away, while she sat in the middle. Pei Qing put a piece of fish belly meat into Xiao Ji'an's bowl and said with a smile, "Ji'er, try it."

Xiao Ji’an became soft and waxy when he talked to Pei Qing. He obediently ate a large piece of fish.

Pei Qing chuckled and turned around to see Xiao Yuan's cold face. For some reason, Pei Qing found this situation a bit funny. She picked up an empty bowl, filled a bowl of fish soup and put it in the man's hand, "Scald it carefully."

King Nanchuan's expression softened a little.

Xiao Ji'an ate the fish with big mouthfuls but saw that there was only soup in Xiao Yuan's bowl. He pursed his lips and said, "This fish is delicious. There is so much, even my mother and I can't finish it."

Xiao Yuan put the empty bowl on the table and looked like he wanted to beat the child again. How could he, the majestic King of Nanchuan, has to eat the leftovers from this noble mother and son?

Pei Qing held Xiao Yuan's hand under the table and turned to explain to Xiao Ji'an: "Uncle Huang only likes to drink fish soup and does not like to eat fish. Ji'er is interested, you can eat more if you like it."

The warm, fragrant and soft touch on his hands actually kept King Nanchuan from losing his temper. He pretended not to see the annoying child opposite him and was enjoying the careful and thoughtful preparation of dishes and pouring of wine by the people next to him.

While just eating, Xiao Ji'an spoke again.

"I heard that you and my father are brothers. Why are there such big differences? My father can't bear my mother to do these things and will always stop her. My mother hasn't even had a few bites yet."

Pei Qing felt soft after hearing her son speak for her.

It's a pity that there was a man who was sitting next to her. Xiao Yuan didn't feel guilty at all, "What do you know, and you dare to scold me? She is a mother who has eaten cakes and fruits all afternoon. If she can still eat it, then I will meet her. It’s a ghost.”

Pei Qing's face turned red. She thought he was just looking at the books, but she didn't expect that he had seen them all. She was bored in the afternoon, so she made some pastries. She had a lot of ingredients, but it was a pity to throw them away, so she ate more. Although the table was full of dishes, she really couldn't eat them.

"Also, don't compare me with your father. Without me, you would be burning incense in front of his grave."

Xiao Ji'an was stunned for a moment, and then his eyes turned red. Although he was young, he understood Xiao Jing's illness and knew that his father would not be able to stay with him for long. But when it comes to life and death, children can't always accept it.

Seeing him like this, Pei Qing touched Xiao Jian's head in distressed. Before she could comfort him, she heard Xiao Yuan say again: "That's the truth. What's there to cry about? There is no choice between life, old age, illness and death. The only choice is how to die, for whom to die. Your father succeeded to the throne at the age of fourteen, experienced listening to politics behind the curtain, regents seizing power, and became ill with no cure due to overwork. He just died for his family, country and the world. This was his own choice; you cry it’s no use either.”

Xiao Ji'an half understood, but Pei Qing was slightly startled and burst into tears.

She cried so much that Xiao Yuan became angry and pinched Pei Qing's face with his big hands, "You are so reluctant to let him go?"

"Let go of my mother!"

Pei Qing was brought back to her senses by Xiao Ji'an's shout. She quickly wiped her tears and looked at Xiao Yuan, her eyes full of gratitude.

At this moment she finally understood. He could have killed His Majesty, he could have taken advantage of the day when the chaos was over to control the entire palace and do whatever he wanted. Pei Qing knew that he hated her and Xiao Jing in his heart. Even though the knife edge was pressed against Xiao Jing's neck, Xiao Yuan did not make a move.

She still remembered the time when that wanton young man had a cynical handsome face and said that he wanted to be a general, that he wanted to protect his family and country, kill the enemy with blood, and be loyal to the wise king and protect the country.

Xiao Yuan did what he said.

But Pei Qing broke her promise. At that time, he pretended to be casual and asked her if she wanted to be the general's wife, and she clearly agreed.

Seeing the slight movement in her eyes, looking at him with great tenderness and admiration, Xiao Yuan's heart trembled suddenly. He let go of his hand, but his tone was still bad: "Don't cry."

Pei Qing nodded lightly, finished dinner with the adults and children, and then watched Zhi Lan take Xiao Ji'an back to Xuyang Palace.

Xiao Yuan leaned at the door and saw that Xiao Ji'an had disappeared, but Pei Qing was still looking at the place they disappear, mockingly saying: "It's not you who gave birth to him. Just because he is the son of sick Emperor, you love Wujiwu, right?"

When Pei Qing heard Xiao Yuan's name for Xiao Jing, she no longer felt it was harsh. Instead, she could hear the sourness in his words. She said: "Ji'er is your majesty's and my sister's son. I have told you how well my sister treats me."

Of course, Xiao Yuan knew that Pei Qing talked about her sister the most at that time. Xiao Yuan knew Pei Wan's beauty and goodness. But as a man, he would never do such a stupid thing as Xiao Jing, like marrying his sister-in-law after losing her.

Naturally, Pei Qing didn't know what he was thinking at this time, so she softly advised: "Ji'er is still young, so you can explain the truth slowly. You always speak in such scary words, which will scare the child."

"Why should I let him call me daddy?"

Pei Qinggang still felt that he was righteous, but in the blink of an eye he was arguing with a child under five years old. She shook her head and said softly: "I'll prepare the bathing things first."

After she entered the inner room, Xiao Yuan looked at the dark figure at the door of Hanning Palace: "Why are you, a grown man, in the corner? Come here."

Chu Li originally came to report something important to Xiao Yuan, but as soon as he reached the door, he was scared back by his master's words.

Even his subordinates felt that this was the prince's fault. It was just a matter of robbing a woman from His Majesty, but how could he also rob someone else's son?

*If you think the novel is very exciting, please vote and share it with your friends. Thank you for your support!*