Chapter 22 Choice

Pei Qing was awakened by a rapid knock on the door.

She sat up and looked outside. It was still dark. The knocks on the door became more and more urgent. Pei Qing quickly put on her coat. She looked down and felt it was still inappropriate, so she finally added a cloak.

When she opened the door, she saw the face of Chu Li who had smiled bitterly. Pei Qing was startled, "Chu Dutong, what's wrong?"

Chu Li wiped the sweat and tears from his face: "Queen, the Duke of Lu who controls the camp on the outskirts of Capital is secretly colluding with Cao Ruiji, the Lu'an army. Our people have found out the news that the two armies will converge today, and they will also attack together with the fire, water and water conservancy and other key points in the city, they want to encircle and suppress the Nanchuan Army and take over the palace! Once they form an encirclement, the people in the palace will have no choice but to die. The prince had made arrangements in the East Palace last night and ordered to strike first early this morning, the troops divided into two groups to fight against Lu Cao’s army, and captured the confidential officials, but, but—”

Judging from Chu Li's look, what he said next might not be a good thing. Pei Qing's face turned pale, "But what?"

"Not to mention that the troops are divided into two groups, even if the entire Nanchuan army combined is not enough to be half of Lu Cao's army, not to mention the manpower has to be split up to attack the fire defence! This is not an ordinary battle with a small number, it is clearly fight to the death with an outnumbered enemy! He said clearly last night that I will be by his side whether life or death, but he actually ordered someone to drug me and leave me in the palace!"

Chu Li, a tall man, choked up when he said this. He just thrust a note into Pei Qing's hand and said, "The matter is over. Madam, please come with me!"

Pei Qing opened the note, and there were several large characters written on it:

Chu Li, protect her and the child. I can only rest assured if I leave this matter to you.

Tears fell on the note, blurring the ink on it. That wanton face flashed across her eyes, and her heart ached. Pei Qing clung to the door tightly, forcing herself to stand firm.

She took a deep breath, raised her head and asked, "Where are the Forbidden Army? The Forbidden Army can at least help the Nanchuan Army!"

Chu Li shook his head: "The prince issued a death order, and eight thousand imperial troops guarded the imperial city to guard the palace gates and strangled the remnants of the rebels who wanted to break into the palace. Madam, we have dug tunnels to the outside of the palace overnight for the past few days. This is the last step. On the way. The prince actually did not believe whether the imperial army could really resist the rebels, so in the end he decided to let the empress and the prince escape from the tunnel. I just ask the empress to forgive me. The Nanchuan army only obeyed the prince's order. This is our point no one can protect His Majesty the Emperor. Life or death depends on fate."

Pei Qing already understood what Chu Li said. She asked: "When he made this arrangement...what was his chance of winning?"

Chu Li choked up again, "If there are reinforcements, there is a 30% chance of victory."

 "What......"

"Last night, we received news that the old prince's troops were willing to send troops to help, but for some reason this morning there was no news!" Chu Li said, "Without the reinforcements, the prince and the brothers outside will not be able to hold on for long. Even so, he will not be able to hold on for long!"

This sentence could not last long, and suddenly the string in Pei Qing's heart collapsed. If reinforcements were not available, the purpose of his persistence was to delay as much time as possible for her and Ji'er.

Thinking of this, Pei Qing said: "Excuse me, Chu Dutong, and take Ji'er away."

Chu Li was shocked: "Why don't you leave!"

Pei Qing didn't say much, just knelt down and saluted Chu Li: "The child is innocent no matter what, and you are the person he trusts most. Please lead Ji'er out of the tunnel."

"Do you know how angry the prince will be when he finds out?"

Pei Qing's voice trembled: "Then he has to live first before he can get angry." Tears couldn't stop falling, "I didn't write that letter to send him to death."

Chu Li was slightly startled, and remained silent for a moment, cupping his hands and saluting: "If the queen has a way to save the prince's life, Chu Li will definitely cooperate! Please rest assured, the queen, even if I risk my life, I will definitely protect the little prince!"

After Chu Li left, Pei Qing walked back to the hall in a daze. She didn't know how she put on the queen's crown dress piece by piece, tied up her hair, and walked out of Hanning Palace.

A night of heavy snowfall made the palace white and sad. Pei Qing stepped into the snow step by step, leaving a long series of footprints behind her.

What she feared was going to happen after all. How to die, who to die for, this is how he chose.

The cold wind was biting, but it couldn't cool her heart. Pei Qing knew that he had reached a truly desperate situation at this moment.

*If you think the novel is very exciting, please vote and share it with your friends. Thank you for your support!*