Chapter 02 Desperate Situation

The military drums outside the palace are getting louder every day.

In addition to going to the Yangju Palace to greet Xiao Jing and serve decoctions every day, Pei Qing took Xiao Jian to the Hanning Palace to read and practice calligraphy.

Zhi Lan has reported more and more frequently in recent days. At first, the eunuchs and maids in the palace escaped with the treasures of the palace. Pei Qing didn't say anything. They were all human beings. Seeing the impending disaster, who would be willing to be implicated and die.

But in the past few days, the things she reported were not trivial. Although the emperor is not good at sex, the harem is still full of concubines. Those who are protected by the mother clan have sent gifts to her, but they did not ask Queen Pei if she would agree, they just took the concubine out of the palace without permission. Pei Qing couldn't stop them and had no intention of stopping them.

It's just that those concubines whose natal families had no one to care about, in order to escape this time, secretly communicated with the guards, and escaped privately from the filthy palace. This clearly showed that the emperor and empress were looked down upon. Although Pei Qing knew that they were also trying to survive, this was too much. She had no choice but to ask Xiao Jing before deciding what to do.

After coaxing Xiao Ji'an to take a nap in the afternoon, Pei Qing told Zhi Lan to add more charcoal fire and asked her to stay with the prince to prevent him from kicking the quilt and catching cold.

Zhi Lan nodded and took the thick cloak for her uneasily, then sent Pei Qing to the entrance of Hanning Palace, watching her walking alone in the snow towards the Yangju Palace. The majestic queen did not even have a sedan chair.

Also, all the people with connections in the palace are almost gone. Who has the heart to serve this queen who has no power in her family and has no heir?

When Pei Qing walked to Yangju Hall, the sky was a little dark, which was a sign of the coming blizzard.

"I've met the Queen!" Meng Chuang, the commander of the imperial army guarding the Yangju Hall, had a sword on his waist. When he saw Pei Qing coming, he stepped forward to salute.

Pei nodded slightly, "Commander Meng, is your majesty awake?"

Meng Chuang nodded, "Reporting to your Majesty, Your Majesty just sent someone to get the scroll, and he is currently reading."

Pei Qing understood and walked up the steps step by step into the Yangju Hall. There was a familiar medicinal smell inside. As she walked inside, she heard a few coughs.

"Brother-in-law." She hurriedly stepped forward, poured a cup of hot tea and put it in Xiao Jing's hand.

He took a sip and stopped coughing. A smile appeared on his handsome but pale face, "Where's Ji'er?"

Pei Qing pulled the charcoal stove to the couch and said, "He is taking a nap, memorizing books for half a day, and practicing martial arts in the evening. He fell asleep as soon as he touched the pillow."

Maybe the heater was closer, or maybe there were more people in the hall, Xiao Jing felt less cold. He took another sip of hot tea and returned the cup to her, "I just have something to say to you alone. It just so happens that you came here alone too."

Pei Qing took the teacup with both hands and was a little surprised when she heard this.

"Tell me first, what do you want from me?" Xiao Jing put aside the book he just held in his hand and looked at her gently.

"Yes... Concubine Yu had an affair with the guards. She took the palace property with her and wanted to escape through a side door, but she was stopped by the imperial army. Since it was a harem matter, he reported to my palace first.”

Pei Qing looked at Xiao Jing, and he was indeed expressionless. She continued, "Concubine Yu has been in the palace for a long time, and she has been with brother-in-law the longest, so I wanted to ask brother-in-law first."

Xiao Jing smiled, when he saw her coming in with a solemn face, he thought something big had happened. Husband and wife are like birds in the same forest, and they fly separately when disaster strikes. What's more, this Concubine Yu is just a concubine, not a wife, so she is nothing. Just let it go.

"This is what I want to tell you." Xiao Jing looked at Pei Qing, "After staying in the palace for so long, it's time to leave."

Pei Qing originally lowered her head, but when she heard these words, she suddenly raised her head.

"I know my body, and the imperial doctors have done their best. Ji'er is still young. If I die, you can't fight the group of people outside the palace. They are crazy about the throne and will not care about any legitimate concubines. Humiliating. If they attack while I am still alive, they will most likely come to me to persecute you, either with oral instructions or with edicts. I can always delay you for a few more days so that they have no time to worry about anything else."

Pei Qing burst into tears after hearing this. But she didn't say yes.

Once Ji'er leaves this palace, he will no longer be a respected prince. He will have to hide in Tibet all his life and will never live a peaceful life.

"I leave Meng Chuang and his confidants with you. When you are sent to a safe place, they will leave separately."

At this point, Pei Qing choked and retorted: "If my brother-in-law arranges this, Commander Meng may not obey his orders."

Xiao Jing was amused, "You know his stubborn temper. He has been with me for so many years, from a long-term servant to the commander of the Forbidden Army. He has suffered a lot, but he is also capable. He is nearly thirty and has not yet married. If my wife and my son die in the palace, it will be my fault. Don’t you think so?"

Pei Qing's tears kept falling, but she refused to answer him.

"Hu Fu can no longer mobilize troops, the court officials are busy forming cliques for personal gain, and the clan members are busy taking advantage of the chaos to seize the throne. Pei Qing, we are in a desperate situation."

Xiao Jing suddenly started coughing again, and black blood even overflowed from the corners of his lips.

Pei Qing hurriedly wiped him with a brocade handkerchief, and in a panic she blurted out: "I wrote a letter for help, brother-in-law, I wrote a letter for help to King Nanchuan. He still has soldiers and horses in his hands. If, if... "

But she didn’t have the confidence to say the following words. It has been seven days since the letter was sent, but it has disappeared without any news.

"King Nanchuan..." Xiao Jing said thoughtfully, "I'm afraid he won't mind such nosy matters."

Pei Qing lowered her eyes, but she didn't know.

Suddenly, Meng Chuang's roar came from outside, and the fire suddenly burst into the sky.

"He broke into the palace and killed someone! He broke into the palace and killed someone -" The eunuch's shout outside suddenly stopped, followed by the deafening sound of sword fighting.

*If you think the novel is very exciting, please vote and share it with your friends. Thank you for your support!*