۰16۰ Consent/ رضامندی

There were barely any cars on the roads. The roads were almost deserted. It was like no one really lived in the city of so many people. The sky was still dark, few stars shining in the sky illuminating the night sky like lamps on a street. The rickshaw driver drove with languid speed. Tanzila's face was marred with worry as she prayed for the well being of Duad. Beside her sat Sahar. She too appeared concerned out of her mind. Her hands were constantly shaking and she was shaking her foot too. She didn't share close relationship with her Uncle, but he still was her Uncle. The worry for his well being was inevitable. Something involuntary, out of her own control.

"Ap thora tez chalayen."
(Drive a little fast)

Her voice came out rushed and laden with worry. She was dialing Khadija's number too, but no luck so far. They must be scared too. After all, it was their father who was in an accident. She could relate to them. After a whole twenty minutes, the vehicle finally stopped in front of the hospital. Sahar quickly paid the driver and walked inside with her mother. She inquired at the reception about her Uncle and was told to go up to the third floor. She, along with her mother took the elevator to the third floor. The ride was short and soon they heard the ting of the elevator and the doors opened revealing a stark white hospital corridor. Some sturdy chairs were lined up along the wall where Mahrukh sat hunched over the chair, holding her head in her hands. Her two daughters surrounded her in a huddle.

Tanzila and Sahar approached them softly and Khadija's teary eyes collided with Sahar's. She was a little taken aback by the look in her eyes. It was accusatory and some other emotion swirling in them which she was unable to pinpoint. It fleeted so fast that she almost thought she imagined it.

"How did it happen?" Sahar broke the intense stare down with Khadija and turned at her mother's voice. She was sitting beside Mahrukh rubbing her back as her Chachi cried.

"I..I received a call. Some truck rammed into his car head on."

Sahar flinched but composed quickly when a broken sob escaped past Fatima's lips. She immediately walked up to her and embraced her in a hug. Fatima was the same age as Rubab who was at home with some trusted neighbour. She felt the sobbing girl clutching at her as she let sobs after heartbreaking sobs out of her lips. Sahar rubbed her back up and down, not knowing how to console the crying girl.

"It's going to be fine."

She whispered the words again and again, thinking if she would say them enough times they'll become a reality. Khadija was leaning her head on her mother's shoulder. Her shoulders too were shaking with sobs, but she was more composed. Like she was steeling herself. Trying to be strong for her mother and sister. She reminded Sahar of her own self. How she felt when her father's health detrioted each day. She felt being split in half. Like her insides were on fire. Or iced. She felt nothing and everything all at once. The fear of the future, the burden of the mishap. Everything was just twisted and messy. Like a ball of cotton rolled onto its own axis. Tangled and knotted beyond control.

They all sat before the operation theatre waiting for any news from the doctors. The operation took more than two hours. The fear and worry gripped their hearts with such force that it was impossible to be at rest. They needed that confirmation, but were terrified of facing it too. What if the confirmation never comes? What if something bad happens? What if he never makes out alive?

Before those thoughts could haunt them a little longer, the doors of the OT opened and came out a doctor. Sahar stood up and faced the doctor. However she was in for a surprise.

"Sahar?"

Standing before her was Dr. Haris. In his doctor attire. A white coat, gloved hands and head covered with the operation cap. She just nodded her head feeling eyes on her which she chose to ignore. Dr. Haris however, acted oblivious to those stares and continued