Ch. 22 The Trial Of Kazuma Satou

3rd Person POV

The court was outside near a graveyard at a rocky area. The judge was sitting in front of a small cliff, on top of which was a gallows. Close to it stood two men with scythes. Kazuma had wooden handcuffs on and stood in front of the judge. Between the judge and Kazuma was a small pillar with the magic bell on it.

To the right of Kazuma was his party (minus Y/N) and to his left was Alderp, the lord whose mansion was bombed. Also, there were a lot of people watching. Kazuma took deep breaths as Megumin spoke up and said, "You look really nervous. Don't worry, we'll counter that prosecutor's arguments until she cries." Darkness added and said, "No need to worry, Kazuma. You've done nothing wrong. In this case." Kazuma thought to himself, How reassuring. Really. But... He looked at Aqua, who said, "Hey, you can just leave it to me!"

Hearing a weird sound, the party looked to the left and saw Alderp looking at them. He was an obese middle-aged man with blonde hair and a moustache. His clothes were weird. He was eyeing them, especially the girls. Seeing this, Aqua said, "Hey, that creep's got his eyes glued to us." Darkness responded and said, "That's the lord in question, Alderp." He grinned at them, fiddling his moustache.

Then Kazuma said, "So where's Y/N? I thought he'd be here too." Megumin looked at him annoyed and said, "You did kick him out of the party and the mansion without considering our feelings or his. We decided that you could kick him out of the party, but not the mansion." Kazuma looked down and said, "I did say that all in the heat of the moment. But I still am surprised that he didn't show up anyways. I thought that he'd show up to spite me at the very least." Megumin sighed and said, "I did try to get him to come, but..."

Flashback

Y/N shook his head and said, "I don't see why I should help him. He turned his back on me and called me a coward for being cooperative with the authorities when we were first arrested!"

End of Flashback

The time for the trial had arrived as the judge spoke up and announced, "We will now begin the trial of the accused, Kazuma Satou. Prosecutor, step forward!" After everyone went back to their spots, the trial began as Sena stepped forward at the judge's command. She stood near the magic bell and said, "A crime that threatens someone with the title of lord is a threat to the nation itself. As such, the accused, Kazuma Satou, is charged with the subversion of state's power. Bring forth the witnesses!"

Your POV

While the girls were out at Kazuma's trial to support him, I was still at the mansion, lying in bed. As I laid there, I started to have second thoughts on my decision to not help out Kazuma. Sure, Kazuma did pretty much stab me in the back, I thought to myself. But neither of us had any malicious intentions when we told Wiz to teleport the coronatite. Plus execution does seem a bit extreme for a simple mistake. Besides, I'm sure Kazuma would more than likely reconsider his decision of kicking me out if I defended him. We are both from the same world after all.

Getting up with a new sense of determination and confidence, I went over to the wardrobe as I said, "If I'm going to court in the middle of a trial, I might as well dress for the occasion." Grabbing my school uniform from the hangar, I added, "Time to go put on a show!"

3rd Person POV

After all of the witnesses had been called up, Alderp spoke up and said, "That's enough. Let's get this execution on the road." Alderp pointed his finger at Kazuma as he spoke, making Kazuma start to freak out. Then Megumin spoke up and said, "Objection!" Standing up, Megumin raised her voice and said, "I will admit that Kazuma has a warped personality, but all this testimony is inadmissable as evidence! I demand some legitimate basis for these accusations of terrorism!" Aqua chimed in and said, "Yeah! What're you basing it on?!"