Chapter 14

"That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt." 

                                                                                                                     ~John Green, The Fault in our Stars

 Today was Saturday which meant I would spend my entire day procrastinating. My Saturdays were usually spent staying at Cara's place. We would do all sorts of weird activities one can ever think of. I even used to stay at night. There were so many things that we had done which nobody will ever think of. We had once gone to her terrace at midnight around 3 AM without letting anyone know. We had just escaped out of our rooms and then went there. We had clicked so many selfies and had spent a great time together. We even broke a few street lights. This was just one of the incident of our endless list of weirdness. 

   James had left early today in the morning as he had to take care of his little sister, Shelly. She was cuteness overloaded. I had just met her once and had become so fond of her. She was just 5 years old and talked like as if she was 15. I always wanted a younger brother or a younger sister but then my mother left me too early and then my father never married again.

   At around 10, I decided to go to Cara's place once I had completed my breakfast and had cleaned the dishes. The rest of the household chores were done by the housekeeper but I had to wash the dishes all by myself. People suggested me to buy a dishwasher but buying a dishwasher from my meager income was not possible. 

   I never called Cara before going to her place, especially on Saturdays as it was something that was a habit now. When I rang the door bell, Cara's mom opened the doors for me. 

"Hey Ash! It's so good to see you. By the way you looked pretty yesterday. I am sorry I couldn't tell you that" she said. Cara's mom was way too polite. She would apologize and thank someone for every little thing and I had never heard her screaming or yelling. I liked her a lot. She was just like a mother to me. 

"Hello Auntie! Thank you for the compliments. Is Cara upstairs?" I asked. "Yup, she is upstairs. Shall I call her or you'll go the way you always do?" she asked. I gave her a smile and then ran upstairs. When I reached the entrance of her room, I could hear her saying something. Perhaps she was talking with someone. 

"Jay, it's not like I don't love her or that she doesn't mean anything to me. I love her more than you do and she is an inseparable part of my life. But then, you need to understand my point as well" Cara said. She was upset by something. I decided to go inside. 

"Ash! Wh....when did you come?" she asked. "Oh! I am sorry I guess I have frightened you. Anyways I came just a few minutes back when you were talking to Jay" I said. "Oh! Okay!" she said. She wasn't as pleased to see me as she always was but then I thought maybe I was just overthinking. "So tell me Ash, how was your day?" she asked. See, I was just overthinking. I know that no matter what things will never change between me and Cara. We loved each other unconditionally and we had full faith in our feelings for each other. 

  For 1 hour entire hour, I told her about all those things that had happened yesterday - from the morning till the night -  everything. Actually, we had a habit of telling each other everything. We even discussed about how the dress fitted me, how I applied the make up. Which brand, which color, which variety -  everything. All that was known to me, was known to her as well and vice-versa. There was nothing in the world that I hadn't told her about. This was the level of our friendship. And once you attain that level, there is no going back. 

"Ash, shall I ask you something?" she said. All of a sudden her mood had changed. She was upset by something. "Sure Cara! You don't have to ask me that" I said. "Ash, if I ever hurt you by mistake or do something that you don't like, will you leave me?" she asked. Tears flooded her eyes when she said this. Why was she asking this question? Has she done something which I may not like?