Chapter 34

"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life."

                                                                                                                                               ~ Richard Bach

Open the door? Was she here? I rushed to the door of my house. As soon as I opened, I had Cara in my arms. 

"Oh God! Ash!"

"Hey Cara!"

For a while I was stunned after seeing her standing on my doorstep. I couldn't believe that she was here. But then when I had her in my arms, I realized that it wasn't a dream.

"Hello beautiful! Look at you! Still the same."

"Oh Cara! Need not flatter me."

"Looks like someone is not at all interested in meeting me."

"JAY!!"

"Hello sister!"

"How are you?!"

"Better than you."

"Really?"

"Ash? Are you gonna call us inside?" Cara asked.

"Oh yes! Come inside please. I'll call James."

"God! Ash! These are your kids?" Cara said as she saw Ryan and Laura watching TV.

"Yes they are. Wait. I'll call them. Ryan! Laura! Come here sweetie. Someone is here to meet you."

They both came running towards Cara and Jay.

"Mom, who is she? I really like her clothes." Laura said.

"Ash! She ain't your child. She is mine! She is talking about dresses." Cara said and we all laughed.

"Laura, Ryan, this is my sister and your aunt, Cara and this is my brother and your uncle, Jay."

"Hello uncle! Hello aunt! Nice to meet you." They both said together and then rushed to watch TV again.

"Cara, Jay, you sit here. I'll be back in a while."

I went inside to call James and asked her to come back home a bit early today. Then I went to make some coffee for them.

I was beyond happy today. This is what I had wished for on this day - to meet Jay and Cara again.

When I went outside, I saw Cara and Laura busy talking to each other about their dresses and accessories and Jay and Ryan were busy playing video games. Four of them were really enjoying. 

Just then the bell rang. When I opened the door, James was standing there. He rushed inside to meet Jay and Cara. We all sat together and talked for hours.

*****

It was 9 PM now. All these hours we had been talking all about our past. 

"Cara?"

"Yes Ash."

"I want to do something today."

"What is it dear?"

"Why not sleep beneath the stars today? Just like we did earlier."

"That's a great idea!"

"But just the two of us. Nobody else. Okay?"

"Okay!"

"Before that I want to have a pillow fight too. And watch some horror movie at night."

"Ash? Why is that you want to do everything tonight?"