Chapter 35

"You gave me a forever within the numbered days."

                                                                                                              ~Hazel Grace, The Fault in our Stars

  [Cara's POV]

"Cara! Wake up!"

"Jay! Not now!"

"Cara it's already 12. For how long are you two gonna sleep? I don't know what is it with Ash today. We all have been trying to wake her up but she ain't even opening her eyes."

I woke up at once after hearing this.

"What?"

"What?"

"Ash is still sleeping?"

"Yes. Ryan came twice and so did Laura. James left for his work. He couldn't get an off today. I tried waking her up too. "

"GOD! Jay are you insane?! You should have woken me up a bit earlier!"

"Cara, I tried. But even you didn't move."

I don't know why but for some reason my heart was beating at a very rapid rate.

"Let me try then."

I moved Ash to and fro but she didn't respond at all.

"Ash?! Wake up sweetie! You don't sleep for so long, do you? Did you develop this habit all these years?" I said to her. 

No response.

"ASH! What is it dear?! Wake up!"

No response.

"Ugh! Let me a pour a bucket of water on you."

I went to the bathroom an brought a mug full of water.

"Here we go." I poured the entire mug on her face. But even this time she didn't respond.

"Cara, there's something wrong. How can she sleep for so long?" Jay said.

Just then Ryan and Laura came in running.

"MOM!! We are hungry!" Ryan said.

"Aunt Cara, why is she still sleeping? She never sleeps till 12. Not even till 9. She always got up at 6." Laura said.

My hands were sweating rapidly and my heart was beating very fast.

"ASH!! WAKE UP! THE KIDS ARE HUNGRY!"

Tears rushed into my eyes. 

"Kids, your mom will be there in a few minutes. You go and play. I'll make you some sandwich." Jay said and then took them out from the room.

A thought came into my mind but I wanted to push it away. However, I couldn't. 

I checked for her breaths. 

But....

She wasn't breathing.

"ASH!!! WAKE UP NOW!! IT'S HIGH TIME!"

God! This couldn't be happening! She couldn't leave all of us!

"Jay!" I shouted.

"What is it dear?" He came inside running.

"J...Jay... sh....she is n...not bre..breathin...." and I started crying out loud.

"What?"

He checked it again and fell to the floor the very next moment.