31. The Relief You Give

TW: Cursing, Pain, Fighting, Kabuto

Warning: If you have not already, please read the rewrite of chapter 25.

~
~🌒🌑🌘~

~🌖🌕🌔~~

~🌖🌕🌔~
~

           Anko's shoulder ached. The mark had burned her down to the bone and each breath that left her made the ache left behind worse but she refused to let it get over on her. Just the thought of Orochimaru having that satisfaction strengthened her resolve, that and the three pairs of eyes focused on her. Waiting for the moment she cracked. A hiss left her teeth at the reminder and Hiruzen frowned at the sound.

"Is it still hurting? The Curse mark?" The Third Hokage asked. Anko shook his worry away, forcing herself to pull away from the mark. There was no time to show weakness so easily. Not with Orochimaru around.

"Not nearly as much as before. Thank you." Anko mumbled, hesitantly pulling her jacket back over the mark.

"Not to interrupt." One of the shinobi standing behind the couch butted in. "But what of Orochimaru? He's one of the three sannin right? That means not even the ANBU black ops can take him down if the rumors are true."

The shinobi next to him nodded in agreement. "I had always thought he was dead but now we know that's not true. Why'd he make himself known now, of all times, anyways?"

Anko gritted her teeth in remembrance of Orochimaru's motives. She and the Hokage shared a look before he spoke, filling the other shinobi in. "He's after Sasuke Uchiha, a genin participating in the Chunin Exams."

"That's not all." Anko sighed, and the Hokage's eyes were on her before she could blink.

"What do you mean, Anko-?" He was cut off by the static of the broadcast behind him before a voice sliced through it.

"Anko! It's been confirmed that the 25th ninja has finished the exam. According to the rules, we'll have to hold a preliminary round before the third exam. The first time in five years." The man over the broadcast announced to the room before shutting it off, leaving the ninjas among themselves once more.

Anko's now wide, spooked eyes, shot over to the Hokage in disbelief as he took a drag from his pipe. The old man's eyes were distant as he huffed out the smoke with a sigh.

"The exams will continue. I'll increase security and we'll keep an eye on his movements and Sasuke." He ordered and his shinobi nodded in understanding before he shifted his attention back to Anko.

"What else were you saying, Anko?"

The said woman gulped, desperate to shake her nerves away as she answered. "He's planning something for Luna Brisa. He and another person named Ezra."

The Hokage's eyes widened briefly before they hardened, hiding his expression in a haze of smoke.

"Then I'll need you, Anko, to pass on a message for me. The rest of you keep an eye on her. She's not allowed to leave this village until I give the confirmation."