5

Aurelia's POV :

Another flower in front of my door. I don't know who keeps leaving them here. They're really cute and I bet the person making them is probably really talented too. I don't know why they keep leaving these here. I picked it up and put it in a box, just like all the other flowers I'd received. I don't know what I plan to do with these flowers but at least they won't rot. I've received one every day this week.

Things with Nate have been pretty good. It's been a week since we met and he's been really sweet. I'm going to watch one of his games today. I've never seen him play before so I'm pretty excited.

It seems like things have been pretty quiet with Hawthorne. He's stopped annoying me and has started being more isolated than usual. Most of the time I've seen him this week, he has had a textbook in his hand. Earlier, he would always be surrounded by his friends in the halls, holding a lit cigarette, but I never see him in the halls now. It's like he vanishes once he leaves class. I hope he's doing okay. I hope the bet we made isn't getting to him. I heard he's still going to his usual parties but he stopped drinking. I wonder how that change came about.

I reached the football stadium on time and met up with Nate before the match. He looked excited and nervous at the same time. I wished him good luck, kissed him, and then walked to my seat. I finally saw Hawthorne sitting in one of the rows in the back. He was with some of his friends and he looked fine. He looked happy. Finally. I was sitting with my best friend Blair, she's an architecture major. She was really happy that I finally started to move on from my ex. She was dating one of Hawthorne's friends. His name is Archer. He was really nice. She turned around to wave at Archer and then I waved at him too. I noticed Hawthorne looking at me so I smiled at him. He didn't give me any reaction, just turned and looked at the field.

Nate turned around to look at me and waved before the game started. I smiled, I was wearing his jersey along with a pair of shorts tonight. I cheered loudly as he scored a touchdown. He blew me a kiss and then celebrated with his team. The game continued and resulted in Nate's team winning. I cheered along with Blair and he came up and hugged me and kissed me before going off to celebrate with his teammates.

Me and Blair decided to go out with Archer and his friends, including Hawthorne. We went to a bar nearby and while everyone else was drinking, I decided to check on Nate for a second. I noticed Hawthorne sitting at one of the seats alone, not doing anything. He was just staring into his hands. I felt really bad for him.

"Hey, it's been a while."

"What do you want?" His voice was sharp and he sounded mean. Not mean like he usually is, just hurt. I don't really know.

"Nothing just wanted to check on you."

"I'm fine. Thanks for caring. Now, go away."

"No. I'm gonna try to make your night better. What's wrong?"

He laughed dryly.

"You really think you have that much of an impact on my life, Gray? Go back to your little boyfriend and stop bothering me."

I felt hurt by this. I'd never felt hurt by anything he's said before, at least not like this. I nodded and looked at him once more and left to go hang out with Blair. She was pretty drunk at this point and was sticking to Archer. I told her I'd be going back to my dorm and left. I didn't see him sitting there, so I assumed he left.

I saw him standing outside, talking to someone on his phone. I decided to go up to him, so we could walk back together.

"Hi again."

"Gray. What do you want?"

"You're going back right?" I asked him.

"Yes." He replied dryly.

He started walking and I did too.

"Is everything okay with you?" I asked him.

"You will never understand, Gray. Stop asking me."

"I could try. I mean we're both studying psychology. It would be nice getting some real-life exposure."

He smiled.

"How's your boyfriend?" He asked.

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Yeah, sure doesn't seem like it. The way you guys kiss and hug."

"He's not my boyfriend." I repeated.

"Okay. Fine."

We didn't talk again after that. He refused to tell me what was wrong, repeatedly saying that I wouldn't understand. He dropped me off at my dorm.

"I still don't know who keeps leaving these flowers here." I said once I saw yet another paper flower in front of my door.

"Goodnight, Gray." He said softly, smiling, and then he left.

I can never seem to understand him. He is so complicated. Every time I think there is a chance of us being friends, he gets distant. The same thing happened last year when I started dating my ex. He wouldn't talk to me if I went up to him and proceed to ignore me every single day.

----