CHAPTER 9

Chenle and Cali's engagement was moved because of her double degree. Both families came to that decision, and because Chenle and Cali were just pushed onto it, their opinions were never heard.

Chenle internally thanked that he had added years of freedom, but he was still adamant about breaking the plan. Once again, he received a stinging slap from his mom and venomous words from his dad.

The next morning, Chenle was invited to a celebration at Sulhee's house. There, he met with the omega's other family members and became instantly close with her two cousins. Their whole family is not that large, but the warmth surrounding them can already be converted into a whole town.

Chenle was jealous, he admits. He wishes to have a family like this.

"Sweetie," Sulhee's mom said, approaching him with a bright smile. "This isn't much, but I hope you like it."

Chenle's eyes widened as he stared at the small bag that the woman handed him. He took out what was inside and found another velvet box.

"I was picking a gift for Sulhee and found that. I noticed you like taking pictures and stashing them somewhere. I was immediately reminded of you."

It was a gold locket necklace; inside it are two pictures: him and Sulhee, and him with Sulhee's family. Chenle vividly remembered the time when they got the second picture. It was snowing, and they were out in the neighborhood throwing snowballs.

"You both look so lovely when you play puzzles. I know I had to take a picture of it for future references, and guess what? It fits on the locket!"

Chenle's heart warmed. He closed the locket and wore it, then stood up and hugged her. A tear escaped from his eye, but he masked his sadness with a livelier scent.

"Thank you so much."

"Hang in there, son. Handling a business is scary at first, but you will get used to it over time. Don't be harsh on yourself, okay? When are you going back to China?"

"Next week."

"Then you better cherish everything for the rest of the week."

Chenle pulled away and nodded. Bora cupped his cheeks and gently caressed his face.

"Sweet child, we'll be here to cheer on you from behind. Don't worry about Sulhee; I'll make sure she'll adjust to the company well, too."

"I'll call whenever I have a time."

"Sure, you do that. Well, that's my time with you. You should go to Sulhee now; she must be waiting for you in the backyard."

How can I betray these people? Chenle sighed. He's standing his ground, but he feels like he's already on the losing side.