CHAPTER 17

It's a rest day for the team, as they promised to be prepared for the big day tomorrow. The new season of Karina's most popular comic will be released, and she will have a book signing event with the lucky 200 fans.

Sulhee volunteered to check the mall today, where they rented the small open-stage area for the event. She brought Daehoon with her too, considering that it's been awhile since they went to the mall and bonded with just the two of them.

After checking the area, Sulhee went to buy clothes for the baby. Pushing the stroller, Daehoon is just surprisingly well-behaved and entertained himself with the stuff toy that Renjun gave him.

Sulhee shopped some for herself too, while trying to keep the bags minimal since it'll be hard for her to carry them all alone.

It was when she paid for the items that Daehoon started throwing tantrums. Sulhee kindly thanked the cashier when the payment was complete, then quickly held the paper bag in one hand when someone grabbed it from her.

Sulhee looked at who it was, then her eyes widened in panic. She was about to retort when the baby cried again, throwing his stuff toy on the floor.

"It's hard to carry it alone," he said, picking up the toy and handing it back to the baby while gently caressing his little hand. "He's cute."

"Chenle-ah"

"Hm?" Chenle turned to face her with a subtle smile. "It's been awhile, angel. I finally found my way to you again."

Sulhee didn't have a chance to run away. The alpha had all the shopping bags, and Daehoon somehow gripped the alpha's finger as his tantrums magically stopped while looking at the man.

So, here they are, in a diner inside the mall, where Chenle ordered food and is now feeding the baby, who's happily eating.

"Why aren't you asking anything?" Sulhee spoke with a lot of courage, breaking the silence between them.

"What about?" Chenle asked back.

"Me. The baby. Just everything?"

"He's mine," the alpha said in an obvious tone. "Or will you deny it if I ask you?"

"I won't, but I'm not ready to meet you either."

"I understand, but you know me, Sulhee. Once I set my mind to something, I won't let go of it until I've got it."

"And what were you doing all this time?"

"Looking for you."

Silence visited them again. It seems like she even forgot to eat, as eating at the same table feels like the hardest thing to do.

Chenle sighed, dropping his utensils, and observed the omega.

"Will you hear me out, Sulhee?"

"Not now," Sulhee was quick to reply, then picked up her utensils to eat. "Let's finish our food quickly. We had to go home and let Daehoon have a nap."

"I don't want to lose you again, Sulhee. You and my baby."

"You're fast enough to call him yours."

"Can't I?"

Sulhee raised her head and immediately met his eyes, then quickly looked away. "Well, it's true that he's yours. I don't want you to refuse your child. He'll get hurt."

"I will never do that."

"Good." Sulhee timidly nodded.

"I'm happy," Chenle said, sincerity lacing on his tone. "I know I was the worst and I hurt you. I understand why you did that and you hid the baby from me. You might be refusing our bond now too, but Sulhee, thank you."

"For not depriving you of your responsibility?"

"For not giving up."

Sulhee looked at him, finally maintaining longer eye contact. Her inner omega rejoiced, having her mate close after so long. It still hurts, and if Sulhee didn't try hard to keep herself sane, she's now maybe on the way to where Chenle is living.

Shrugging the blooming feeling, Sulhee drank her juice and told the male that she's done.

"Thank you for the meal, Chenle."

"Anytime."

"We'll get going." Sulhee stood up and held the stroller, but Chenle also grabbed the handle at the same time.

"Let me take you home."

"I brought a car."

"Then, let me take you there." Chenle quickly grabbed the shopping bags and told the omega to lead the way.

Sighing, Sulhee just walked ahead, with the alpha following close beside her. Daehoon was close to dozing off, hugging the new stuff toy that Chenle bought (Sulhee argued not to do it, but he did find a way somehow). He was just staring at the baby with fond eyes, fighting the urge to carry him, which Sulhee doesn't want him to.

When they arrived at where the car was parked, Chenle watched as the omega placed the bags and the folded stroller on the backseat, then secured the baby on the baby's seat.

He shifted his eyes to her when she rounded to where he was standing—both just waiting for the other to speak.

"See you"

"Thank you"

They said it at the same time. Chenle nodded and motioned for Sulhee to get in the car.

"I'll see you again, Sulhee."

"If you'll see me," she quipped, then got in the driver's seat.

Chenle stood on the side, making way for the car. Sulhee drove away, honking once as a good-bye, then completely left without looking back.

Suddenly, a tear escaped from her eye. That's when she realized that she had held on to this feeling for a long time. Somehow, Sulhee felt light after seeing the alpha again too.

Is it the effect of the mating bond? Or is it because she missed him dearly?

Sulhee knew it was both, and her heart is still crying. She's not ready to commit again.