My friend

Damian

I climbed downstairs wearing a black tee and black sweatpants along with white sneakers. I wore a few accessory rings and every time I glanced at them I thought about Chase. Goddammit Damian. You don't even know the man but you're thinking unholy things about him. Get it together!

"Going somewhere?" Felicity asked coming out the kitchen with a white ceramic bowl. I nod and almost step out the house but then I feel horrible.
"He hasn't come back yet?" I asked unable to tame the temper that rose in a split second.

Felicity flinched.
"No." She softly replied. I sighed softly then took the bowl away from her and put it on top of the table. "Damian, you don't have to sit with me to eat dinner. Go hang out with your friends."

"Woman, sit down and let's eat the dinner that you made with your whole heart." I said pulling out a chair for her. She sniffed and as I sat down across her I saw her gently wipe away a tear from her right eye.

"Thank you. You're so sweet." Felicity said turning to me with teary eyes. "Your mother must be so proud of how you treat women." I sighed softly not feeling strong to discuss about my mother.
"I just treat you like any person should." I said.

Felicity wanted to say something but I think she realized the shift in my mood.
"I am sorry." She said.
"Don't apologize. It's fine." I said. She nodded quietly then turned her focus in dishing up dinner in our plates.

We ate in silence for a moment before Felicity cleared her throat and turned to me.
"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked. I knew that she came from a good place but I was not in the right headspace to engage in that heavy subject. I quietly shake my head.

My stepmother nodded quietly then turned to eating her dinner.
"I am going to a party with a few friends." I said.
"On a Monday?" Felicity asked sounding surprised. I nodded quietly and was inwardly laughing as she mirrored my reaction when Benjamin invited me out.

"I don't think I will stay for long." I said.
"Okay. Cool." Felicity said. She was trying so hard not to boss me around that it was slightly amusing. I gave in to her strict antics.
"I will be back before midnight." I said.

"Half past nine?" She asked.
"Half past eleven." I rectified her.
"Ten o'clock." She negotiated.
"Quarter-past ten." I bargained. Felicity pondered for a moment before she nodded.
"Fine." She said.
"I better find you asleep when I come back. Don't wait up." I said.
"I will wait up for your father still." She shrugged then turned to her phone. She switched it on. "He was supposed to be back hours ago now."

"Wherever he is I am sure he is fine Felicity. Trust me. Please go to bed. Don't wait for me or him. You need your beauty sleep." I said then rose and picked up my empty plate. "Let me take care of these."

"No, Damian. Wait." She said after I took her empty plate. "I will take care of it. Go hang out with your friends. You'll be late."
"It is fine. Go to bed. I don't mind." I said.

She nodded quietly with a small smile though there were some tears sparkling in her eyes.
"Good night and thank you." Felicity said.
"Good night and it is no problem." I said.

My stepmother walked away upstairs to her room while I took care of the dishes. For a moment a flash of Mom's memory plays in my head. I held onto the kitchen counter tight begging myself not to cry. I missed her so much.

––––––––––––––––––––––––

After finishing the dishes I went straight to the party and straight to drinking my sorrows away.
"Damian!" Benjamin called walking towards me after parting with a cute honey toned woman. I languidly turned to him and his smile slowly faltered. "What's going on?" He asked sitting down next to me on the couch in the living room.

"Nothing." I replied not turning to him. I then took a swig of the bottle of whiskey I had found.
"Damian, are you okay?" Benjamin asked.
"Having the best day of my life." I replied turning to him with a sad smile. "Are you okay? You didn't have to leave that cute curly head to be with me."
"I had to. I was worried about you man." Benjamin said.
"I am fine." I said. "Go have fun."

Before he could speak Leonard spoke while walking towards us.
"Guys, is the party not that lit?" He asked. Benjamin and I exchanged glances then simultaneously turned to him.
"It could have something to do with you hosting it on Monday, but hey free booze." I said hoisting the half empty bottle up with a feigned smile. "Who would say no to that?"

"Look, I know that Mondays are not the best day to host, but I really wanted you boys to meet my friend. He is cool but he is always busy. Today was the only day he was free." Leonard explained. We then heard the doorbell being rung. "That must be him."

He took the whiskey away from me then held both our hands dragging us to the front door.
"Hey!" Benjamin cried while my heart ached about the whiskey that I was leaving behind.
"I am sorry. I just...get so excited when he comes." Leonard explained. "You guys will love him. I promise." He turned to the door.

A/N: Hi, thank you for taking your time in reading this. Please vote and leave a comment ❤️