Record

Chase

A month and a few weeks later the council were still looking for Lucifer. I was beginning to lose hope. It wasn’t supposed to take that long to find him.

Meanwhile, there were multiple reports of hundreds of people doing a deal with a devil in their sleep and selling him their souls. I arrived at the main room where I found Rachel and Oliver already there.
“Oh. Chase? Hey buddy.” Oliver said with a smile.

“Have you heard about the devil who is influencing people in their dreams to sell them their souls?” Rachel asked.
“Yes.” I replied. “That’s why I’m here.” I wrinkled my eyebrows and looked around. “Where is Damian?” I asked returning my gaze to Oliver and Rachel.

They both shrugged. Our eyes turned to the door just as the human stepped inside.
“Hey.” He said.
“Hey? Is that all you have to say?” Oliver asked incredulously. “What are you going to do about the devil who is tricking people in their sleep to sell them their souls?”
“Nothing.” Damian replied catching us by surprise.

“What do you mean nothing?” I asked.
“Because I was the one responsible for it.” Damian replied with a smirk while my heart missed a beat.
“No. Stop fucking around Damian. You can’t be the one who did it.” Oliver said, but as the human didn’t flinch his confidence deflated. “Right?” He anxiously asked.

“Oh. Damian. There you are.” Malcolm said stepping inside the main room. “I just wanted to congratulate you on obtaining two thousand and thirty souls. I have never seen this much success in hell ever since Lucifer left.”

I felt faint.
“Sorry. How many souls did you say that he has collected?” Oliver asked.
“Two thousand and thirty.” Damian replied.

“That’s more than Brycen’s record.” Rachel whispered under her breath in disbelief.
“All under two months. That’s really impressive.” Malcolm said while patting Damian’s shoulders. That was it. My fear was becoming a reality. Just like that.

                           💀

Damian

I couldn’t do it anymore. The pretending and jobs that I had to do as a devil. They were beginning to burden me to the point that I literally had no time for my personal life.

It took almost drinking an entire bottle of whiskey for me to get those souls because the numbers were dropping and due to the fact that the boss of hell had the most influence I had to do it myself.

But I couldn’t do that shit sober. At least by doing so had fixed the numbers and the safety of hell.

Though, there was something else that I noticed and I did bring it up to Malcolm once, but he always brushed me away before I could tell him what was going. My only option was Chase. I hoped that now he was going to take me seriously.

As my mind was swirling around with him the devil walked inside the office as though he were summoned.

“Tell me that you’re only bullshitting me because no human can do what you did under two months.” Chase demanded after he slammed the door shut behind him. I couldn’t do it sober. Though, I wasn’t going to admit that to him, and besides there were far more pressing matters to deal with.

I rose from the chair and picked up the file.
“No. I’m not lying to you Chase.” I replied walking towards him. “Do you mind looking at this?” Chase seemed taken aback by me changing the topic so swiftly, but thankfully he does what I asked and examined the file.

“What did you do?” He asked wrinkling his silver-grey eyebrows while not meeting my gaze.
“Nothing.” I replied. “I tried to bring it up to Malcolm but he doesn’t take me seriously.” I explained then turned to the file that he was reading. “Is that normal?” I asked.

“Devils die all the time, but it was never this extreme before. It’s like they’re being eliminated.” He explained then sighed softly as a thought hit him. “It’s the angels.”
“Right. Of course.” I said turning to my left then lowered my eyes. “But what are we going to do?” I asked turning to him slowly. “Those numbers are going to drop further and then –”

“I know what’s going to happen next Damian.” Chase heckled while trailing his intense hazelnut eyes to mine. His gaze softened and he lowered his eyes then sighed softly. “This is getting out of hand.” He said not turning to me.

I lowered my eyes then an idea came up.
“And we have to stop it.” I said looking up. Chase wrinkled his eyebrows then turned to me with a puzzled face.
“How?” He asked. “We were in this war for thousands of years. How do you possibly think that you can stop it?”
“Just trust me.” I said patting his shoulder then walked past him out of the office.