chapter 45: Where?

I smiled as I stared at myself in the mirror of mine and Albert's room. My belly was covered in many stretch marks. Today was the day my and Albert's vows would be renewed. I was fluttering in excitement.

"Nighthawk to Phoenix, do you read me boss lady?" Nighthawk's voice came through my com choker.

"What's wrong, hawk?" I said, accepting the link.

"Nothing. I was just letting you know everything is set up, and you should start getting ready. I'll be up there to escort you down in roughly thirty minutes time." He said as the coms disconnected.

"Always in a rush." I sigh, shaking my head.

Quickly, I start to change. I wasn't doing anything fancy with my hair and makeup. I didn't need much prepping for these events since being infected with the Angelis virus.

Slowly, I draped the lovely two part gown over my body. The lavender lace clinging to my baby bump, creating a globe of lotus petals. While the fabric was somewhat scratchy, I couldn't help but run my hand over the children. I felt so happy.

I never wanted to lose this moment. I wish I had a camera to save this thought forever. This was a field of mental bliss. Just me and my unborn children, I felt a small set of kicks as I smiled.

I heard the elevator open. Nighthawk must be here to esscort me to the library. I removed my com choker as a tinge of unease fell over me. Nighthawk was never this quiet.

"Wesk! Is that you love?" I shouted out, grabbing my samurai edge from the trunk at the foot of our bed.

Nothing but silence. I loaded my pistol  and stepped out of mine and Albert's room. The common area seemed darker than normal. I walked out facing the elevator, noticing nothing strange. I quickly faced the balcony and living room.

After a brief second, I felt a sharp stinging in my neck that dropped me to my knees. What the fuck! Pain surged through my body. I hadn't felt anything like this since Angelis bound itself to my genetic code. My vision was blurry. My body was burning as I could feel my muscles loosen and contract rapidly. In a searing wave of pain, I released my firearm, unable to keep a solid grip on it

"Well , well, well, just look at you now, dear sister in law." I heard a distorted voice say.

I saw white leather dress shoes step in front of me. My vision was slowly fading, but in my desperation, my body fought against whatever was assailing it. The voice wasn't clear in tone, but I knew for damn sure who did this.

"ALEX!" I instantly covered my mouth.

A jolt of shock and horror shook me. My voice sounded just like my mutated forms. What was happening to me. I grabbed my side and toppled over. My pain had tripled in agony in a matter of seconds.

"Poor poor darling Tabitha, look how you have fallen to me. Vladimir certainly was on the right track with this destabilizing agent. An antigen would have probably killed you by now, so this destabilizing toxin was perfect for you. Can't risk hurting Albert's children after all." She mused at my expense.

A feral growl escaped my throat. I reach for my neck only to remember I has previously removed my choker because I thought it would clash with the dress. I let my guard down for a day that should have been nothing but happy. I was furious, not only with myself but with the obstacle in my way. Should I just lash out or try and drag myself to get my comlink.

"Reduced to base instincts, aren't you? Fight or flight? The itch to kill what is threatening not only you but your unborn brood or the desire to cower away to your and Albert's room? Face it, my silly little sister in law you've always been nothing more than an animal for Umbrellas entertainment." Alex laughed as I heard the elevator open again, Nighthawk strode into my view.