Chapter 13: Being Myself?

{Normal P.O.V}

Once we arrived at the lodge, I had calmed down and had collected my thoughts. As much as I hated the thought of umbrellas money being used to create the Pheonix Corps as well as the lodge, at least it was now making a difference and helping humanity rather than creating weapons of mass destruction.  My thoughts on the Wesker situation were less than resolved though. I had to come over that bridge when I got to it. 

Archer helped us unload the car and placed the multiple attache cases and the few suitcases with clothes for Irving and Steve on a bell cart. When Irving stepped out he looked stunned. This didn't surprise me in the slightest. The grounds of the lodge were well maintained with multiple local specimens of berry bushes as well as shrubs, various flowers, and fruit trees. The natural beauty was being heightened by the moonlight and the forest sounds were making the place seem peaceful.

"This place is quite gorgeous Mr. Archer. I'm surprised a hunting lodge is this well kept." Ricardo said looking over the grounds. 

"Thank you, Mr. Irving,  maintenance and landscaping take a lot of pride in making sure Tabitha's gardens are well taken care of. She planted most of these herself as well as a vegetable patch past the orchard. She was always on who believed in garden-fresh quality is better tasting and more enjoyable for patrons." Archer spoke. 

"Wesker's wife did this? It's incredible, to think a guy who is so good at destroying life was married to someone capable of creating a natural beauty like this." Steve said helping Archer with the bell cart. 

I chuckle at the remark Steve made, "Yea, although if I remember her body count is around five hundred give or take, due to her being in the U.B.C.S. but she always had a soft spot for gardening. She told me on one of our missions to France the reason why is she got into gardening was that she didn't want to pay the forty dollars for a pound of lavender. "

"Really? Flowers were that expensive?" Irving asked holding the door open.

"Yes, it's a hit at the farmers market we host once the month we sell it at six dollars a pound and we turn a profit on the culinary lavender we grow here." Archer said smiling, "Our dessert bar is mostly comprised of Madam Tabitha recipes, her lavender macarons are often requested to be sold separately in a bakery type setting however we are unfortunately running on the lodges appeal to hunters as they are our main financial support. Unfortunately, our other activities support either the grounds or what happens three stories below leaving little financial gain for our employees. Thankfully we have roughly three thousand five hundred fifty acres of land with two hundred fifty set aside separate from the total just for our employees."

"They live on campus? The utilities must be a fortune with all the land allotments on the same stretch of land." Steve stated.

"That's one thing my teacher thought about. She had a hydroelectric dam built to supply energy due to the runoff of snow and nearby rivers. It supplies electricity to the lodge and employees but allows for a tax break as well." I started cringing remembering the cost to start everything.

Irving let the door staring in shock, "It sounds like Mrs. Wesker was one hell of a businesswoman.".

"Indeed she was Mr. Irving and with that, I welcome you and Mr. burnside to the Phoenix Core Lodge, Ms. Lancaster welcome home." Archer swung the door open and the deep wooden tones of the lobby shone ceremoniously in the light of the antique chandelier. 

The smell of pine and cedar wafted out of the door completing the ambiance. The dark leather sofas surrounding a black marble mantlepiece the white streaks faintly speckling in the light created a homely feeling. The check-in desk was made of nice mahogany and an ebony top piece. The path of the entry was tiled with a red marble that let up to the desk.