FDL | 13

Say to you face, you caused me pain / Tried to move on but I do it wrong / Carry the weight, they say I'm strong / But it's gon' weigh on

Her vocals blared around the studio over the scratchy guitar chords and gush of fluttering hazes. The record goes into the chorus that has Amanda's vocals stacked with hers. Before her best friend left the day before to spend time with her fiancée in Tulsa, she convinced her to hop on the record in the background.

Shantey was at DMG with her engineer Deon and listening intently to figure out what was missing—which she noticed as soon as the layered vocals started. "Pause it," she instructed Deon while hitting the FaceTime icon on De's contact and listened to it call. She was fixing her hoop nose ring when the video connected.

"Get out yo' nose," De made a face playfully blowing smoke out his mouth. He sat out on the patio alone.

"I ain't in my nose, nigga." Shantey chuckled, reading into his face. "What's wrong with you?"

"Tell me why you called first and Ima tell you what got me out smokin' it up."

"Deal. Listen to this, and tell me what's missing." Shantey gestured for Deon to press play. "This the chorus."

De lifted his phone to his ear, and listened closely to Shantey and Amanda voices blending well with one another.

My heart and my spirit and the way that I love / Is weighin' on the days, I'm feelin' over under / I'm over all the trauma that turns into drama / I got grudges, I think you should know /All these grudges, but I can't let go of / I got grudges

Deon stopped it and De put his face back into sight. "I sound bomb wit you and her no lie," he coughed a little from the smoke, "But I hear what you sayin. You need a male on there."

"Exactly what I thought. I was thinking on asking ya nephew."

"Who? Those niggas can't sing," De chuckled and hitting his blunt again.