Chapter Seventeen

"Hey, uhm, Y/n?" Adrien nervously spoke up. I looked up from the air hockey table to look him in the eye, letting him continue.

"Do you have any plans for dinner? I figured that if it gets too late, we could go out and eat. Just the two of us, if you don't mind." He continued, giving me a soft smile.

We had been here for about a hour and a half, and I had begun to get hungry. I nodded and responded, "Sure, I would lo-" Before I could finish my sentence, I was interrupted by my phone ringing. I started to dig around in my bag, looking for my phone. Once I had managed to find it, the screen lit up so that Adrien and I could see Luka's name flash across it. I felt my heart plummet and I felt like I was going to puke.

Before I could slide the button to answer the call, Adrien grabbed my phone and answered it, almost as if he knew what I was thinking.

"Hello, Y/n's phone, this is Adrien. What can I do for you?" After a few seconds, he began to speak again. "Sorry, she's busy tonight and tomorrow. We already made plans." I shot him a confused look as he made up some plans for tomorrow.

"No, I don't think she can help with that. Sorry, but I'm taking a lot of her time in the next few weeks, we are going to study for the midterm together." He paused, I could hear Luka's voice but I wasn't able to make out what he was saying. "Yeah, no. Maybe you could see if Marinette can help, she's a pro at that honestly." Luka began to sound annoyed as Adrien kept rejecting a favor he was trying to ask me. "Okay, talk to you later, Luka. Have a good evening." He hung up the phone and handed it back to me.

"What was that about?" I asked him, putting the phone back into my bag.

"Nothing important, he just needed help with something minor and I told him you were busy. Anyways, let's head out to go get food. I'm starving." Adrien wrapped an arm around my shoulder and lead me to the doors.

"But what if-" Adrien cuts me off, "It wasn't anything important. I promise." He looked down at me, his gaze soft and reassuring.

I let out a sigh, "Thank you. I wasn't ready to talk to him yet. After what Marinette told me, I don't feel ready to talk to him in general."

"Oh, good. I was worried you'd be upset about me answering the phone for you," Adrien said, then he began to look over my expression. "Did you-"

"Yeah," he nodded. "And she told you?"

"Yeah," I responded slowly, taking a deep breathe, trying to remain calm. "I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be feeling like this. I told myself I would work to try and get over him." My voice came out shaky.

"Hey, Y/n. It's okay to be upset," He said, pulling me closer to him. I wrapped my arms around him and bury my face into his chest. My body began to shake, and I could feel the tears burning my eyes.

He wrapped his arms around me, and I tried to focus on my breathing. Hawkmoth would not be akumatizing me today.

"Why don't we get you home? We can hang out there if you'd prefer, or I can just drop you off. Okay?" he asked. I nodded. "We can even order food if you want."

Adrien walked me all the way to my front door of my home. He had managed to cheer me up a bit and I felt good enough to smile. When I got my door unlocked, I saw a note from my dad, telling me he wouldn't be home until next week because of a work trip.

Adrien turned and was about to walk out the door when I reached over and grabbed his hand. "Stay. Please. I'll order pizza." He smiled and nodded, understanding that I didn't want to be home alone. He locked the front door and wrapped me in another hug.

~~~ Luka's POV ~~~

"What the fuck is his problem!?" I slammed my phone down onto the couch. I needed her help with a project FOR Marinette, I couldn't ask her for help on her own gift. What kind of boyfriend would do that?!

Juleka walked into the living room, two cups of tea in her hand. "I heard you yelling, so I thought it was time for tea." She handed me a cup and patted the seat next to her. "Wanna tell me what's going on?"

I let out a sigh and gently took the cup, sitting down next to her. "Yeah, it'd be nice."

"So, what's going on? Why are you upset, Luka?" She asked me, taking a sip of her tea.

"I got with Marinette yesterday, and wanted to get her a gift but wasn't sure what would be a good gift, so I called Y/n..." she just nodded, albeit she seemed slightly bothered. "And?" She spoke, telling me to continue.

"But Adrien answered the phone and said that she wouldn't be available today, so I asked about tomorrow or the day after and he said she would be busy with him for the next couple of weeks. I get the vibe that he's trying to keep me from her, and it frustrates me. I was her friend first, you know?" I stared into the cup of tea while Juleka sat silent, after a while I took a drink and turned to her. "What do you think?"

"Do you want me to be completely honest?" She asked me, looking me dead in the eye. I nodded, I needed honesty right now. Juleka took a deep breathe and began to speak.

"I think what you did was horribly cruel to Y/n, and I'm glad that Adrien is distancing her from you." I looked at her completely shocked, "What do you mean?"

"Luka, you asked a girl who has had feelings for you for years to help you pick out a gift for another one of her childhood friends that you are now dating. Everyone knows at school so Y/n has been hearing about it from everybody, and that means Adrien knows. She was always so obvious about it."

I glared down at my cup, "She wasn't obvious about-" Juleka interrupted me, "She was as obvious as Marinette was with Adrien. You just didn't see it since you gave your attention to someone else. I think you need to give her time." she finished and went to her room, my alarm for work went off and I rode my bike to the pizzeria, remaining silent the entire time.