Mini Story: English Assignment

"Now, my dear children," Mrs Cannon began as the students began packing up, holding up her stack of formidable dread materialised. "I'll be handing out your latest practice assessment results. Remember, this is just practice, so I urge you to come to me with any questions!" The woman then pursed her lips and thought about it for a moment. "But... if you have a question after class hours, I will not be available."

"But Ms, can't we just send an email," Atlantis Holten asked.

Mrs Cannon laughed and shook her head. "You should know by now that I never check my emails."

Friday wasn't worried. Not one bit. Why should she be? She'd always get perfect scores, no matter what. Of course, a sense of dread still filled her just like it did for everyone else. It was like a toxic gas, creeping its way through and filling up every crevice of the room.

With the way the seats were patterned in a horseshoe shape, Mrs Cannon would creep behind them all and place the test face down on the desk, sending a jolt through the students. From next to her, Friday could hear Susan mumbling... prayers?

"Please God, I know I don't really talk to you all that much but please I need a good grade on this," the girl muttered repeatedly.

Friday couldn't see why she was worried either. Susan was excellent at English, so when Mrs Cannon came up behind her and firmly placed her practice test in front of her and Susan turned it over to see an A+, Friday wasn't surprised. Susan, on the other hand, almost shrieked and instead put her head in her hands.

"Thank you," the girl said earnestly, looking up.

So silly.

Next, was Friday's turn as they were going alphabetically. Mrs Cannon walked behind her and hesitated. She hesitated for so long that it made Friday turn around.

"How about you wait until the end of class to look," Mrs Cannon finally said, placing the sheet of paper and making an extra effort to not show the grade.

Confused, Friday shrugged. "Okay," she muttered, glancing carefully at the sheet of paper. She then looked to her side and saw Susan staring at her with wide eyes.

"That can only mean bad things," the girl said, green eyes staring right into Friday.

Friday scoffed. "Don't be so dramatic. She might've just... she might've just been confused with all the complicated analogies and vocabulary I used and needs me to explain them."

Finally, once the bell had gone a few minutes after, Friday waited until the others were exiting out of the door (Mrs Cannon being the first) to turn over. Her hands shook. It'll be fine... right? But what reason could there be for Friday to have to see it after class?

With a deep breath, she turned over the paper.

F.

***

"Mrs Cannon! Mrs Cannon!" Friday called out, practically yelling, jogging to catch up with the woman.

"Yes, dear?" the woman said, coming to a stop and turning.

Friday brandished her paper with wild eyes. "You gave me an F! An F. I don't get F's!"

"Yes, I did," Mrs Cannon responded calmly.

"Why?!" Friday exclaimed.

"Because that's what I felt like it deserved."

"How!? It's basically exactly like all those example pieces you put up as perfect examples!"
Mrs Cannon sighed. "Friday. The structure was perfect, yes, but you cannot fake raw creative emotion which is, I must say dear, something you lack."