V3 - Chapter 4: Day 1 (Part 1)

Please tell me, why do you hate yourself?

For I will always love you in your place.

Please tell me, why do you hate yourself?

For no logic exists to do so.

So, why do you continue to hate yourself?

It pains me to see you in pain.

By,

I.A.

* * *

I walked into my classroom to see the usual sight. A forlorn Hirata, a distressed Wang, a smiling Kushida, a pompous Koenji, a studying Yukimura, and a reading Horikita. That was the status quo of Class D ever since the purge. Pretty much the only interactions were between Hirata and Wang, Kushida and everyone, and Horikita bothering me over something pointless.

"You're quite late today," Horikita said.

"I slept in, I figured showing up early to this depressing sight wasn't worth it," I replied.

"As long as you show up before class starts."

"Does it really matter?"

Horikita glared at me and I turned my gaze out to the window. 

I saw a baby bird flapping its wings earnestly. It struggled as wind blew by it. It faultered slightly and recovered quickly. However, then another bird swooped past it, causing its balance to be upset. The baby bird failed to recover and began tumbling to the ground. It smacked a rock, causing its neck to snap, killing it instantly.

* * *

Sakayanagi and I agreed to meet in the library at 6. I entered the reserved room and the shutters were closed, blocking off any peering eyes. I sat at a moderately sized table that had a tablet propped up on both of our sides. For a moment we simply stared into each other's eyes, basked in the heavy silence.

"Well, shall we begin?" I ask, not interested in staring any longer.

"Fufufu, let us begin then," Sakayanagi replied.

The tablets then activated and it displayed the class I was attacking. Class C. I quickly selected a random student. Now, Sakayanagi had the choice to defend a student. She quickly made her decision. Then, the results appeared. Suzuki lost one life. Sakayanagi had chosen not to defend a student. Of course, that was the right play. Right now, the floor for the future was being set, wasting protection slots right now was meaningless. Then, Sakayanagi attacked. She chose quickly, and like Sakayanagi's choice, I chose not to defend anyone. The results appeared. Tokito lost one life.

The first few turns would naturally play out this way. The real challenge of this competition comes when the future rounds arrive. One has to remember all chosen students in all rounds at the specific times to predict where the attacks will come from. Thus, as the match progresses, the more things one would have to remember. However, it does not end there, one has to read and predict their opponent. In other words, find out what their goal is. I'm certain Sakayanagi realizes it too, we both have people we wish to expel from the class we're attacking. Thus, figuring out those students is essential to achieve victory.

Therefore, I can safely say I am at a disadvantage. Sakayanagi is already vaguely familiar with me, even if it is only a little information. That is more than I have. And in this game, that could make all the difference. How we profile the other is what will determine the victor.