Chapter 34

"It's louder than I thought." Calypso frowned as they stepped into the arcade. "And bright."

"Are you okay?" Hecate asked, placing a protective arm around the mermaid's shoulder to keep her close.

"Yeah. It's just more than I was expecting is all." Calypso answered. "I'll be fine though." 

"You better tell me if that changes okay? I don't want you to be overstimulated or anything." Hecate noted as she walked forward, though she took Calypso by the arm to keep her close as she did.

"I've just never been here. I'm sure I'll relax after we play some games." Calypso smiled. "But thank you for worrying about me."

"Of course." Hecate smiled, touching her head to Calypso's a bit before leading her towards a kiosk. "I think I have a few points still on my card from the last time we were here. Vanessa and Reza got shitfaced so we had to leave early."

"Aren't they both... not able to get drunk?"

"Not normally." Hecate corrected. "They most certainly can when they try. Ness brought some nightshade for herself and I, and some horrid concoction for Reza."

"Horrid?"

"It had to have been like... 99% alcohol. I genuinely wouldn't have been surprised if Vanessa just handed her a bottle of rubbing alcohol because that's exactly what it smelled like."

"Rancid." Calypso shook her head. "Did you get drunk?"

"I was going to." Hecate answered, swiping her membership card before also swiping her credit card and loading some points on. "But I realized I was the designated driver, and so we couldn't all be trashed." 

"How mature of you." Calypso smiled.

"Oh, I'm sure I'll get them back for it. They do serve alcohol if you'd like to have a drink or two, but I'd prefer you sober if I'm honest."

Calypso chuckled. "I can't - well, I shouldn't get drunk in public. Harder to hide my scales when I'm trying not to slur my speech." 

Hecate chuckled. "Fair. We can both drink when we get home then. But only a bit." 

"Only a bit." Calypso agreed before taking Hecate's arm again as she stood up. "Where are we going first?"

"How's your rhythm?" Hecate asked.

"Rhythm?" 

Hecate chuckled before leading her mermaid down the rows of claw machines. The massive room was filled with blinking lights and music from the dozens of different games all playing at once. Calypso looked around nervously, only to flinch when Hecate pulled her arm away.

"Wh-" Calypso started, only to pause when Hecate wrapped her jacket around the mermaid's shoulders, pulling up and adjusting the collar. "Were they showing?"

"I don't want to answer." Hecate confessed.

"So yes?"

"Yes. But I was watching for it and noticed the second it happened. I should have thought about how you'd feel. You communicate by sound so it would make sense that it overwhelms you. We can leave if you-"

"No!" Calypso retorted, grabbing hold of the hands still holding up her jacket. "No. I want to stay. I want to enjoy this with you. You went underwater for me even though you were terrified. I'm just slightly uncomfortable, I'll be fine."

Hecate stared at Calypso's face, studying the look of determination in her expression before sighing deeply. "Okay. But you have to let me use magic."

"Magic?" Calypso asked, tilting her head curiously.