Chapter 35

"Are you still alive?" Reza's voice came from the other line.

"Of course. Is there a reason why I wouldn't be?"

"Because you're never home." Came the response followed by a bit of laughter. "Is she a better roommate than me?"

"Not really. If anything she's worse because she keeps stealing my clothes." Hecate scoffed, glancing over to where Calypso was sitting on the couch, her eyes glued to the television screen while she was playing a game. She was back in her true form and had changed into her pajamas, however she also decided that she wanted to keep Hecate's jacket on, and her nose and mouth were still buried in the collar.

The mermaid paid her words no mind and ignored them, focused entirely on her game.

"Good. Maybe then you'll come crawling back." Reza responded. "As long as you're happy. If you wanted to you could just request to be transferred to her dorm?"

"I could do that?"

"Of course you can. It happens all the time. After all, Eros is on the board as the Housing Director for a reason."

"And he didn't set me up with my mate because?"

"Uh... you came to the school a semester late you little shit. Snooze you loose."

"Is that why you were alone?"

"I was alone because Mel was supposed to come but decided not to. Then she got butt hurt when you took 'her' place." Reza answered.

"I genuinely don't know how you do it Reza. She's toxic as fuck."

"Sometimes I think so too. After getting shown up by Sylvia though its like she's a completely different person."

"In a good way?"

"Yeah actually. She calls and talks to me about me more. She doesn't talk about how things are going in hell as much as she used to if at all. She used to call just to bitch to me about the politics down there but she hasn't been. Now she calls to talk about how I'm feeling, or what I'm up to. She asks about our family more and how my studies are going, like she actually cares now."

"Did she start going to therapy? What the fuck?" Hecate scoffed, getting Calypso to glance up at her for only a moment before returning back to her game.

"She hasn't said, but I think so. I asked Akeno if she'd be willing to talk to Mel even though she's not a student and Akeno agreed saying something about 'I'm happy to help anyone who wants to improve' or something. I told Mel, but she said it sounded stupid, yet, total personality shift." 

"I think Mel wants to be better. Which is good. She's probably doing it for you you know?"

"I don't doubt it. It's definitely something that she would do. But I told her that I didn't think there could ever be anything between us and she agreed. Maybe she's hoping to change my mind, but she's never overstepped my boundaries before."

"Then I don't see her attempting to do that now, you know? I think she's trying to be better for you and maybe some part of her is hoping you'll change your mind, but she'll be okay if it doesn't. Yeah, she's crazy, but she's not volatile." 

"She's never been volatile. If anything you can very clearly see how she tries so hard to seem like the bad guy when she doesn't actually want to be. Sylvia said it best, the only person causing problems was only ever herself." Hecate could picture Reza nodding to herself as she spoke. "All that really matters is she's not being as much of a dick anymore."