Suitor

Invisible Bilbo crept down a corridor, searching for the dwarves ... Thranduil suddenly strided into view ahead of him.

"I know you're there. Why do you linger in the shadows?" Bilbo froze ... behind him Tauriel stepped forward. Making him sigh in relief.

"I was coming to report to you -" Bilbo had to wait for this interaction to pass before he could sneak past. He saw (Y/n) on his way past, and knew he could get her if need be.

"I thought I gave orders for that nest to be destroyed not two moons past?" Thranduil raised his eyebrow.

"We cleared the forest as ordered, my Lord, but more spiders keep coming up from the South. Thanks to the female warrior we met we now know that they are spawning in the ruins of Dol Guldur. If we could kill them at their source -"

"No. That fortress lies beyond our borders. Keep our lands clear of these foul creatures, that is your task." The Elven king shook his head in disagreement.

"When we drive them off, what happens then? Will they not spread to other lands?"

Bilbo quietly edges past the elves after seeing a gap open up, reaching a doorway across the chamber.

"Other lands are not my concern. The Fortunes of the world will rise and fall but here, in this Kingdom, we will endure." He knew a certain warrior in his kingdom would disagree but his kingdom and how it is run is not up to her.

Tauriel bows, unconvinced.

The King hesitated, as if sensing something, he turned towards Bilbo ... as he slipped through the doorway.

Thranduil turns back to Tauriel, his eyes a little softer.

"Legolas said you fought well today ... He has grown very fond of you."

Tauriel smiled, "I assure you My Lord, Legolas thinks of me as no more than a Captain in the Guard." Besides, she had seen the look he grave the new girl when they met in the forest.

"Perhaps he did once, but now I am not so sure."

"I do not think you would allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly Silvan Elf." She tried to deny.

"No - you are right. I would not. In my eyes, he has a much better suitor Still - he cares about you - do not give him hope when there is none."