Stubbornness of Dwarves

The rain soon cleared as we made our way out of the forest and into the field lands.

In the distance the ruins of what was once a house could be seen.

Little Bilbo had fallen asleep and was currently slumped forward. I had to keep an arm around his small frame to ensure he didn't fall off.

"Is it just me, or have you developed a soft spot for the hobbit in the short amount of time that you have met?" Gandalf chuckled as he rode next to me.

I smiled at the wizard, "I suppose I worry about him, hobbits aren't known to leave the Shire so do not have knowledge or experience of what's out here" he nodded then pat my shoulder.

"There isn't much out there to harm him, if you're there (Y/n)" he smiled then rode off next to Thorin.

—Time Skip brought to you by Sting 🗡—

We got to what was left of the house and dismounted. Just a few hours until sundown I would say.

"We'll camp here for the night. Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them!" Thorin ordered as he made his way to the house, where me and Gandalf were inspecting.

Something wasn't right, the house didn't look that old, so why was it in ruins?

"A farmer and his family used to live here" Gandalf muttered. He looked up grimly before turning to Thorin.

He was helping two other dwarves with a fire.

"I think it would be wiser if we moved on" Gandalf started, "we could make for the hidden valley, it's not far from here!" I pointed out in which Gandalf nodded.

Thorin just glared our before he growled out, "I will not go near that place!"

What have the Rivendell Elves ever done to him?

"Why not? The elves could help us, we could get food, rest, advice!"

But Thorin wasn't going to give up.

"I do not need their advice!" Wow he really doesn't like elves.

But I'm pretty sure it was Thranduil who would not help them. He told me that he warned the king about what his greed will bring, but he would not listen.

"We have a map that we cannot read, Lord Elrond could help us!" I tried to reason with the dwarf, but I knew that it wouldn't help the situation.

Thorin went back to glaring at me before he spoke.

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing! You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather, who betrayed my father!" His voice got louder as he spoke, but he did not scare me.

I could see that Gandalf was getting frustrated with the dwarf.

"You are neither of them. I didn't not give you that map and key for you to hold onto the past!" He was getting angry, and Thorin's answer made the old wizard snap.

"I did not know they were yours to keep" He spat.

With a final huff, Gandalf stormed off towards his horse.

Thorin continued to stare me down until one of us breaks. Of course he did first.

I could hear Bilbo trying to talk to Gandalf. Only for the old wizard to snap at him.

"Myself Mr Baggins! I've had enough of dwarves for one day!" He mounted his horse then rode off.

"Is he coming back?" Bilbo asked Balin who looked at him with a regretful face.

"You should leave too!" A gruff voice said behind me.

"What?" I spun round to see Thorin. His hand on his sword as he looked between me and Hades.

"I do not need you on this quest, your an elf! You are only doing this for your own benefit!" He shouted. The dwarves and Bilbo had gathered around to watch.

"Fine!" I mounted Hades before looking at Balin.

"I'd keep an eye out, I have a feeling there's evil near by" he nodded.

"Come on old friend, we are not need here!"

Hades took off into the forest.

'It's only a matter of time until they are attacked, might as well just trail behind them'

{Back at the camp right after (Y/n) left}

"What language was that?" Oin asked. The company were befuddled. It wasn't a language that they had heard before.

Well, Balin had, He was very aware that it was Dragon Speech, but he refused to say anything.

He knew that if she had wanted them dead, she would have done it by now.