2 | 1 ⌋ 1933

Egypt 1933

There was once a time when Rick imagined himself in a different life, asking a lot of 'what ifs' and 'would he?' after the battle of Hamunaptra, the ancient city now buried in the desert. Would he have wished it never happened? Yes. Would he want to do it again? Absolutely not. So how is it that he found himself in the same position with the same girl who started the chaos in the first place? 

Rick slowly inched towards the corner, a gun in his right hand. He tried to keep his mind busy to not think of the worst; after what happened ten years prior, Rick didn't take anything to chance. Evelyn had brought him on many expeditions after leaving the Cairo Museum to overcome their newfound fear of the unknown. 

Rick tried to still his heart as he heard hissing in the ancient halls. He made sure his gun had a loaded bullet when he looked down and saw a mouse chewing on something. Relieved, Rick put his pistol in the holder and turned around -- only to come face to face with a child. 

"Alex?!" He looked at his fallen son. Both shared a bewildered expression. 

"What were you thinking, a mummy had come back to life?" Alex chuckled as his dad gave him a hand, "I'll tell you a story sometime."

"Wait, what are you doing down here? I thought I told you to wait for us in the temple," Rick stared at his son. Alex began speaking, but Rick could only see his mother's eyes looking back at him with the same mischievous glint. 

"But dad, I saw your tattoo-"

"No buts, Alex," Rick broke eye contact, "It's dangerous down here, and I don't want you getting hurt." 

"But I saw your tattoo!" Rick didn't have a chance; Alex grabbed his arm and removed the leather bracelet to reveal the ink. "This was on a wall near the entrance. There's a cartouche just like it - with the pyramid, the eye, two kings, and everything!" The excitement enhanced his blue eyes. 

"Really?" Rick smiled, remembering the day Hasina found out about his tattoo. He'd explained the story, and she told him its history. It's times like these he wished she'd return to them. 

"Yeah," replied Alex. 

"Okay, well, I'll take a look at it when we leave," he looked over Alex's head. "In the meantime, I want you to wait for us up there." Alex tried to argue but Rick stood firm and nudged his son in the right direction.

"What shall I do?" Alex asked, his voice gaining a slight echo. 

"I don't know - surprise me." Rick began to walk away, "Build a better mouse trap," Alex agreed as they headed in separate directions, "while your aunt desecrates another tomb."

Evelyn Carnahan had come a long way since [almost] becoming a sacrificial lamb for the mummy. She'd gained courage and confidence after her first [official] dig with her family. Her brother, Johnathan preferred to indulge himself in different ways while Rick and Evelyn traveled on many expeditions. Hasina had joined them on a few, but her role within the medjai always came first - even after Alex was born. 

Though it broke her heart, Evelyn understood she was in no position to oppose because she'd learned firsthand how important their society was after Hamunaptra. Studying the Medjai's ways, Evelyn felt inadequate in their field; unfortunately, not many people opposed the thought. Since then, she's focused on her quests rather than pondering the past. 

Eveyln took a small brush from the toolkit and began to brush away the thousand-year-old dust off the wall, taking in the hieroglyphics and detailed art of two women in fighting stances. The scene felt familiar, but she couldn't put her finger on it.