Chapter-41

As the evening sun casts a warm glow over the palace, Akriti and Virat stand in their room, surrounded by half-packed suitcases and scattered clothes. Akriti's hands move deftly, folding and placing each item with care, her eyes avoiding Virat's gaze. The tension between them is palpable, the unspoken words hanging heavy in the air.

Last night's drama remains unmentioned, a silent understanding between them. But the tension in the room is Virat's impending departure for a business trip.

Akriti's heart aches at the thought of him leaving, her eyes betraying her emotions. Yet, she says nothing, knowing the importance of this meeting for Virat's career.

Virat, too, is torn. His eyes linger on Akriti, his mind wrestling with the desire to stay and the necessity of this trip. He can't postpone it, but the thought of leaving her behind, even for a few days, feels like a punch to the gut. His hands move slowly, packing his belongings with a reluctance he can't hide.

The silence between Akriti and Virat is thick with emotion, their hearts speaking a language that transcends words.

Her eyes brimming with tears as she struggled to hold back her emotions. Her voice was heavy with a mix of sadness and desperation as she asked.

"Aap wapas kab aayenge?"

She was packing his bag, her hands moving slowly and deliberately as if trying to delay the inevitable.

Virat, engrossed in his file, didn't respond immediately. He was too focused on the papers in front of him, his brow furrowed in concentration. But as he sensed her gaze, he looked up, his eyes locking onto hers.

The sight of Akriti's sad face, her eyes welling up with tears, made him pause. He saw the pain and longing in her expression, and his heart skipped a beat. He knew he had to respond, to offer some comfort, but the words caught in his throat.

The silence between them grew, the only sound being the soft rustling of clothes as Akriti continued packing. Virat's eyes remained fixed on hers, his face softening, as he tried to find the right words to ease her distress. The tension was palpable, the weight of their emotions hanging heavy in the air.

"Kuch bata nahi sakte abhi hum....ek hafte toh lag hi jayenge"

His voice was gentle but the words cut deep.

He saw the tears welling up in her eyes, but it was the quivering of her chin that broke his heart.

Akriti's face contorted, and the dam finally broke. Tears streamed down her cheeks, and she quickly covered her face with her hand, trying to hide the pain. But it was too late. The sobs came, and her body shook with anguish.

Without a word, Virat reached out and wrapped his hand around hers, pulling it away from her face. He wiped away her tears with his thumb, his touch gentle and comforting.

Akriti's hand instinctively wrapped around his waist, and she buried her face in his chest, her tears soaking into his shirt.

Virat's arms encircled her, holding her close as she sobbed. He caressed her back and head, trying to offer what little comfort he could. His own heart ached, seeing her in so much pain. He knew he had to leave, but he wished he could stay with her.

"Hum jaldi wapas aa jaayenge"

He said softly in his reassuring voice while his arm still encircled around her, holding her close as she sobbed.

He stroked her hair, trying to offer comfort and whispered.

"Just a few days and I'll be home to you"