This has frozen my ground | Doyle flashbacks

Happy reading!
____

Spring, 2000

They were training at his place. After last time, Ian insisted she strengthen her defense skills. She didn't oppose, despite knowing she could easily defend herself and perhaps even take him down in a matter of minutes. She played the game, letting him guide and listening to his instructions. She liked doing that, figuring she might need it in the future, so she learned him, his way of fighting, spotting weaknesses or opportunities where she could hit and neutralize him.

Ian placed his hand on her back, pressing her body to his and holding her still while she regained her breath. They were both sweaty and exhausted but it didn't stop them from staying that way.

He caressed her cheek, loosening his hold to make a small space between them. "And when you stab someone... aim higher" he continued, raising her shirt and demonstrating with a delicate motion, going with his index finger up from her abdomen towards her chest, stopping when reaching the middle.

"Twist the knife, you are in control" he whispered, looking down at her stomach and pressing hard against her liver, making her tense up. "He'll go down instantly" he said casually, as if he had not just told her how to ensure she inflicted a fatal wound.

She let out a nervous chuckle. "I'll keep that in mind the next time you want to test my loyalty."

He pulled her body back to his, looking at her with a slightly softer expression. "There won't be a next time, love. I promise. The next person who tries to touch you... I'll do more than just shoot him" he vowed. She gave him a smile full of teeth.

She threw her hands over his shoulders. "Why?" she asked, tilting her head as if the gesture moved her.

"Because you are mine" he answered, placing his hands on her hips "and I love you." She took a moment to consider his words, feeling displeased by the confession. She knew she would have to say it back, but right now, she couldn't. Instead, she kissed him, knowing he would consider it a form of declaration of love too.

It would be enough for now.

She took a week before giving Ian her answer— she would join and fly with him to Italy, Tuscany, where they would continue working together, but this time officially with her by his side.

After receiving the okay from Clyde, she accepted his offer, getting ready for another chapter of this journey. At first, she was afraid Clyde wouldn't allow it; she didn't understand why, but she wanted to join Ian. She didn't want to let Lauren go; Emily wanted to avoid dealing with the parts of herself she had let go, believing they were lost.

____

Summer, 2000

Time had passed, and she grew tired of the huge villa. Ian was barely home; he was gone for days, sometimes even months, never telling her what he was doing. On the one hand, it was good, she had the freedom to do whatever she wanted - communicate with her team, investigate, and casually ask Ian's workers questions but on the other hand she was sometimes left with nothing to do, waiting impatiently for a change.

She was left alone and bored, even the irises she grew didn't seem to keep her properly occupied.

Emily was laying peacefully on the green grass, her eyes closed and the sun stroking her face and coaxing her to an unplanned sleep. What prevented that was a sudden shadow that expelled the sun's rays and forced her to open her eyes.

It was a child who looked down at her with a curious, beaming smile. It was the first time she had seen him, and she found that fact strange. Emily pulled herself up and crossed her legs in front of the boy. She looked around to see if there was any adult who might have left him.